Monitoring

• Members

Y'all may be able to direct me to another thread, but I will start here. We have starting playing more venues with house sound now. Problem is with monitors. I run ears and most of these club sound guys say they don't feel comfortable mixing ears. That being said, is there a way we can bring our mixer board and mix our own monitors while somehow sending a signal to the FOH engineer?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Not without significant investment and lots of hassle.

I would recommend that you instead advance your band info to the venue/sound guy specifically that you run ears. Setting up an ear mix is easy and takes five minutes, tops. If the venue is unable to accomodate your ears, for lack of aux mixes for example, you can either stick to using wedges or turn down the show.

If they're not willing to spend five minutes to set up an aux mix for your ears, do you really think they'd spend an hour re-patching the stage mics and running a subsnake to FOH?

• Members

I'll defer to mothers here but I'd offer -- it depends. How many people? What kind of music? Back line amps or everything through DIs? How many total channels? I assume your mixer is sufficient when you don't have a sound system supplied? Again, I'll defer to others but depending -- it theoretically might just require buying a stage snake and a splitter.

• Members

Mogwix wrote:

Not without significant investment and lots of hassle.

I would recommend that you instead advance your band info to the venue/sound guy specifically that you run ears. Setting up an ear mix is easy and takes five minutes, tops. If the venue is unable to accomodate your ears, for lack of aux mixes for example, you can either stick to using wedges or turn down the show.

If they're not willing to spend five minutes to set up an aux mix for your ears, do you really think they'd spend an hour re-patching the stage mics and running a subsnake to FOH?

Unless the OP's band is at the beginning or middle of a multi-band line-up, why would they have to re-patch anything? And why would they need to run a subsnake to FOH? The OP shows up with his IEM rack, including mixer and splitter. Mics run into it, with one of the splitter outputs feeding the FOH snake that the mics would've otherwise been plugged into.

I'll agree with the "significant investment" part of your comment, but not the "lots of hassle" part, excluding the initial setup.

Archived