distorted HF driver (sometimes)

• Members

So I have an RCF 310A that has an HF driver distorting periodically. I first noticed it in May at a wedding. I swore then that it was coming through the FOH and other monitors too so I thought it was something else, but I'm guessing I'm wrong because I heard it again last Friday and all other speakers were fine.

My guess is that this is this is the speaker where someone jumped during our rendition of "Jump" and dumped water, yes I remember it was water, in the horn. Anyway, it dried and the speaker worked the next week so I went on with my life and it was fine for almost a year. I'm not really even sure it's the same speaker. I switched it with the bass player's monitor at the first break and it was OK for him. He just needs a general monitor though so the SPL was lower. I noticed when I lowered the volume of it when it was distorting for me it wasn't as bad.

So the question.... Does this sound like a bad diaphragm?

• Members

Thanks. So if it's the diaphragm, will I see something? I replaced a mylar diaphragm in a Yorkville NX550P once, but can't remember if I actually saw physical damage to the old one. FWIW, this one appears to be mylar too - ND1411-M

I ask because a diaphragm is $50 and a new compression driver is $100. If I take it apart and don't see anything I'll be left with a decision of spending $50, $100, but hopefully not $150.

I suppose the first step is taking it apart. Probably a project for next week as the trailer is tucked nicely in the garage with "stuff" packed all around it so I can still fit 2 cars in the garage. I have 2 RCF 522A's just sitting around, which isn't too shabby for a backup :)

Archived