Power Amp Question/Advice Needed ASAP

• Members

Ok, I have 3 amps I normally run my speakers/subs/stage monitors through. 1 Peavey IPR 3000, 1 Peavey IPR 1600 and a Seismic Audio LE 3000 (I know cheap amp, but powers my stage monitors ok - cheap build and underpowered but it works)... My Peavey IPR 3000 died yesterday and I won't be able to get it repaired in time for our next show. What I would like to do is run my two 4ohm main speakers on Channel A and my two 8 ohm subwoofer on Channel B using my IPR 1600. It is a pretty small place we are playing at and should be enough power but not sure it would be safe to do this. This would make a 2 ohm load on Channel A and a 4 ohm load on Channel B (if I understand ohm loads correctly, which I may not). The specs on the IPR 1600 do say that 2 ohm is ok but I was wondering if this would be safe for just a 1 hour show, 1 time only. And I am correct on the ohms? Would be 2 ohms on Channel A and 4 ohms on Channel B?... I dont' know a lot about this kind of stuff. I just know two 8 ohm speakers hooked together makes 4 ohms and two 4 ohm speakers makes 2 ohms. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Need some advice by tomorrow afternoon. Thanks in advance! Link to Peavey IPR 1600 specs is below...

http://www.audiovisual.it/pdf/articoli/147781.pdf

• CMS Author

As a general rule of thumb I try to avoid using minimum-impedance loading, regardless of it being 2 or 4 ohms, of an amp as its normal setup configuration. An amp failure such as this is the reason...if you're not at minimums, you can reconfigure the setup in the event an amp fails and has to be removed temporarily.

• Members

OP has 2 things going for him: only 1 channel is at 2 ohms and different program material (subs vs everything else). If it was should I have both channels at 2 ohms with sub material I'd say don't do it, but impedance does rise as frequency does and each channel is being asked to something different. That alone should make the power supply happy.

Archived