Sammy Hagars Cabo Wabo

• Members

Returned from a 7 day cruise last week which included a stop in Cabo San Lucas. While we were there, the wife and I went to Cabo Wabo to have lunch and partake in "tequila sampling". Walking through the building, we passed through the performance area where the stage was located. I took a few minutes to look at the speakers and was a bit surprised. Lots of old gear. Gray carpeted JBL 3-ways for mains (among a mixture of other boxes) and some sort of carpeted wedges that looked like they'd been around awhile.Kind of gave me the impression of something a DJ on a budget would throw together. One shocker was that one of these 3-ways was suspended over a seating area with that yellow colored rope that you find at Home Depot wrapped around all four sides and tensioned to a rafter with a come-a-long.

All in all, the appearance of the gear was not what I expected. I thought it would have a premier system but that didn't seem to be the case. Undoubtedly it gets the job done as I'm sure no one walks out because the gear looks so old but I was surprised. Clearly there are no OSHA concerns either, that one speaker looked to weigh at least 70lbs if not more and was hung about 10' above a table.

We had lunch out on the patio and listened to a local band doing classic rock, one of the tightest "bar-bands" I've ever heard. They were squeezed onto a very small platform where one of the members was actually hidden behind a large upright support beam. Their system consisted of one powered box mounted about 10' above the front of the stage and pointed towards the patio, no monitors. It sounded fine and they didn't seem to need the monitors. Old gear aside, that is one fun place to go to.

• Members

I bet those boxes are not stock :)

The "old" stuff can do an amazing job! Properly engineered great results can be achieved. I am quite sure Sammy has top notch people in his arsenal :)

I still have old large 2350 JBL 2 inch exit radial horns (they used to stack them vertically 30 ft high at concerts) and some horn loaded cabs in storage that I can get a huge great sound out of. In fact I really have got to let go and even burn some old horn loaded boxes/bins. I can not even give the stuff away and it kills me to get rid of it.

I heard Sammy sold out the Tequilla brand he had for like 80million?

Archived