Looking for a first synth

jyoung17

• Members

When I get the money to do so (and who knows how long that'll be!), I want to get a nice electronic keyboard/synth. It will be my first one, and it may be my only one (depending on how much it costs), so I kinda need it to have everything I'll ever want from a keyboard.

First, I need good and useable piano, organ, choir voice, and string ensemble sounds. They don't have to sound like the original things; they just need to sound good and be very useful, especially if they can replace the real things. I also would like some vintage '60's through 80's electronic keyboard, synth, and organ sounds, including something like a Rhodes piano sound. Btw, sounds I can download off the internet or some place and put on the keyboard are just as good to me as sounds already on the keyboard.

Second, I LOVE tweaking sounds. If there is a parameter to tweak on a keyboard somewhere in the world, then I'll probably find a use for being able to tweak that parameter. This way I can customize the sounds and get alot more use out of them.

One thing I can do without is ease of use. If this gives you any idea, my favorite two guitar amps in the world are the AX2 and the Vetta 2, both made by Line6. I purchased an AX2 new for $500 (it was so cheap cuz it's discontinued) and I LOVE IT!!! It gives great tweakability of sounds and effects, and I don't mind the relatively steep learning curve (compared to a regular amp). I can sacrifice ease of use for great and numerous sounds.

Another thing I DON'T need is a keyboard that can play prerecorded stuff automatically--that is, the ability to program how an entire song will play. When I play live, I don't need such a thing, and in the (very low-budget) studio, I'll just use Acid Music 3 (which I got off ebay for $30) and my $10 sound card (which I may replace with a real sound capture device).

Thanks fer the advice!!

-Jason

• Members

Sounds like a performance rather then workstation, synth to me. Good choices new would be Alesis QS6.2 with Sanctuary Qcard added. Suggests this card to add choir voices ect. Other choices could include Korg X5d, EMU PK6 with whatever sound roms added, Yamaha S03. These synths are available new in the $600 and under range. Add $100 for an Alesis Qcard or $200 for an EMU expansion Rom. Though these two synths would be most expensive with the expansion, you'll get more synth and much bigger sound choice libraries. The presets can then be tweaked, modified, used as start for new voice, or used as if liked.

Reccomends reading HC reviews on all the above synths to get further idea on other peeps likes ect on em. And play around with synths at local to you stores. To develope feel for what brands ect you most like yourself. Possibly come good used deal on a synth you like to. Suggests sticking with 61 key synths for portability & better prices. Also the majority of synth useing pros use 49-61 key synths with synth not piano action. They just dont need the extra keys of 7o something ect. Nor the piano action keybed.

• Members

How much do you want to spend? Better to grow into a keyboard than grow out of it. If you can afford a serious workstation from the "big thee"--Yamaha Motif, Korg Triton, or Roland Fantom, check them out. Average price-$2200.

It's good to find a store with all three available, hooked up to the same sound system. Give them a GOOD audition and then decide.

I wouldn't recommend E-MU....they are discontinuing their keyboards--support won't be that good.

Archived