OT: Oberheim 8 voice on ebay !

gilwe

• Members

Very nice - even if it does need a little maintenance. That's got to be a knob twister's dream synth. It'd be cool to know the pedigree, even if undocumented. Oberheim didn't make too many, so it's likely been in the hands of a famous musician or two.

• Members

That's a nice piece, not many of these around and the first time I've seen one on the 'bay.

Towards the end of the SEM production run, Oberheim made them with black panels. See pic below.

Now this isn't just an eight voice. It's a TWO MANUAL eight voice. Less than ten of the dual manual SEM polysynths were made, but a blackface dual manual SEM polysynth ranks with the ultimate collectable analogs.

Oberheim could have gone one further and put in a reverse color keyboard :D

And no I do not own this one.

oberheim_black_8_voice.jpg

• Members

So pretty....

I'd consider taking it on as a fixer. There are very few synths that would tempt me, but this thing would be brutal.

Any one purchasing would need to consider using it as 8 sem's vs. an 8 voice unless you have access to the envelope chips.

• Members

Wow...

I seem to recall a cream dual manual one in Keyboard back in the late 80s/early 90s...

Would something like an OBX/OBXa offer the same basic sound though?

That's a nice piece, not many of these around and the first time I've seen one on the 'bay.

Towards the end of the SEM production run, Oberheim made them with black panels. See pic below.

Now this isn't just an eight voice. It's a TWO MANUAL eight voice. Less than ten of the dual manual SEM polysynths were made, but a blackface dual manual SEM polysynth ranks with the ultimate collectable analogs.

Oberheim could have gone one further and put in a reverse color keyboard
:D

And no I do not own this one.

oberheim_black_8_voice.jpg

• Members

Would something like an OBX/OBXa offer the same basic sound though?

OB-X - yes. The voice circuitry is almost identical to the SEM with the expection of omission of HP/BP/notch modes for the filter (lowpass only) and CEM3310s replacing the discrete envelope generators. Very big sounding polysynth, but like a Triumph it can be high maintenance.

Anything else - no. More and more CEM chips worked their way into the circuitry and the sound deviated away from the SEM.

• Members

The programmer uses propriatary chips to control the envelopes. 4 per card. A card controls 2 voices. These chips are notorious for going bad. You cannot replace them unless you know someone that has spare cards. I used to have about 10 cards. Now down to about 2.

Here is the PC board I am talking about. The IC's with the paper stickers are the 4 propriatary chips.

OberheimProgrammingCard5.jpg

• Members

The SEM programmer doesn't save parameters for ALL settings on a SEM voice. It can't store filter resonance settings, you have to set them by hand as well as some others.

What were those "proprietary chips"? PALs? ROMs? We're talking 1975 technology, not much around back then unless you order custom ICs - not a cheap proposition.

• Members

Oak Lawn, IL?

I wonder if the Pedegree is Dennis DeYoung. That was his main synth in the late 70's. Most likely, its changed hands a few times in the area over the years and the history is convoluted (or its stolen). All pure speculation of course. To hear what this thing does (or did), listen to Pieces of Eight by Styx.

I'd drive by Dennis' house and ask him, but he lives in a gated community. ;-)

• Members

Grand Illusion was the four voice, Pieces of Eight (SQUAWK!) was the eight voice.

Dennis toured with the eight voice but it was a white elephant. He wouldn't trust anybody to tune it, he'd check the thing shortly before showtime. Geddy Lee quit touring with his eight voice for the same reasons.

• Members

Wes, theres a mod for OB-X to allow for adding BP mode to its filter - either as an extra switch, or moving an noise on/off function to an extras witch and using noise switch as "programmable" BP/LP switch.

do you know anything more about this? also, i think it was Jurgn H that mentioned soemthing like it coudl be doen to OBXA as well, since it uses a SVF type of filter like SEM but based on 3320..

id like to do this mod to either my OBXA or OBX if possible. SEM bandpass sounds awesome, but 3320-based bandpass on Synthex is equally fantastic. ..

thanks

Tom

• Members

havent got my OBX yet. it w my brother in CA. first i need to find two more voiceboards, then it goes to be serviced a bit by Greg, and i might replace them aging trimmers on voiceboards..then it goes on a plane..

but even without having played one, judging by recordings like Tangram , Exit and a few demos i heard, comperd to OBXa that i know very well, i find OBX is warmer, thicker, more organic. when u open the filter, the saws sound sweet rather than edgy like CEMs on OBXa.

i cant wait to compare them in the flesh, as it aint so simple - there are examples i heard where the resemblance in "behaviour" or presence in mix, for lack of better words, was obvious, but the texture was different. .. so i wanna see in what ways they are close, and in what they arent.

one thing im sure of is: rich creamy pwm pads/silk strings - obx does. obxa is too gritty and agressive to do convicingly.

so, you gotta have both i think.. :o:D

• Members

Speaking of...

How come you don't have OB-X, OB-8 combo?

What are main differences OB-8 vs Xa? (i'm also interested in features, not just soundwise)

disclaimer: ill use broad generalisations, some differences are subtler than it might seem from this:

imo the three distinctive Oberheim sounds to have are; creamy, organic SEM-discrete VCO/VCF in a nice 8voice package of OB-X, then the angry, gritty Curtis sound incarnated in OBXa with the edgy SVF 12dB filter, with its saturation of VCF and VCAs. and finally the ultra smooth, glassy, noble sound of Xpander/Matrix12 generation.

OB-8 is somewhere btwn XA and XP. yes it has a 12dB filter but its not the one from XA. overall it has xomewhat less attitude and saturation. much deeper engine, like an early sign of what is to follow (additional lfo, extra sftw envs, indiv PW setting per VCOs, arp etc). envs are a bit mushier than XA, but it can be modded to XA speed. again, its smoother than XA, but not as smooth as XP/M12.

so, overall if were talking early Curtis sound (i.e. girtt n agression of 3340/3320) i prefer XA sound over 8. what 8 does have over XA, i can get either in other boards, or ideally go much further in that direction with an Xpander.

all a matter of personal preference. sure X+8 would also be a great combo too. and if u r set at owning just one, single oberheim, i'd still recommend OB-8 over any other.

• Members

Tom:

Interesting take on our favorites synths....Oberheim.

Its been years since I've had any of my Oberheims, but I always thought that the OBXa was a bit "smoother" sounding than my OBX. I A/B'ed them for a little while (not extensively but I did compare some patches) before I sold the OBX and got the Prophet 5 to compliment my OBXa.

Mr. Oberheim had said some years ago that he thought the OB8 was his best synth.

Mike T.

Archived