nord modular G1 vs G2

• Members

i know this has been done to DEATH. but i am not talking about module selection or the physical interface. it is pretty clear to me the advantages and disadvantages of these. i am talking more about the sound. the general characteristic between the two.

i hear the G1 is closer to the original NL and the G2 is closer to the NL3. does anyone here have a first hand experience unto just HOW close is the G2 is to the NL3? i have played with the G2 demo some and i really can't tell that much. i have played around with a NL3 in a few shops and really prefer the sound of my NL2.

has anyone here sold their original nord mod for a G2 and miss the sound of the original?

thanks...s.s. s.s s.. sss.. :wave:

• Members

What you hear is true. The G1 really needs something to smooth the sound. I run my through a tube pre. The G2 has a much smoother sound to begin with, much closer to the NL3. I much prefer the tone quality of the G2. The G1, like the NL1/2 is great for cutting through on stage, but can be harsh on recordings.

• Members

It depends on the kind of sounds you want to make. I've found the G1 to be much better at digital-type sounds... FM, Phase Mod, digital leads, hard drums and percussion.

The G2 is better for more "analog" sounds... bass blips, pads, etc. Also, the G2 is great for a lot of other stuff....

I am probably going to sell my Nord G1 key for another G2 engine, just because I really could use the functionality of the G2 a lot more than the G1, but yeah.. I hope that wasn't too much of a rehash...

• Members

I have a G1 (keys, expanded), and I prefer its sound character over that of the G2 series.

To my ear, it needs nothing to smooth the sound. That said, I am an effects slut, so it rarely gets used in a "raw" state. ;)

cheers,

Ian

• Members

I've had both, and at the same time. My impression is that they sound pretty much similar.

The G2 sounds a little clearer to me, perhaps because of the better DACs. Another thing I noticed is that the G2 oscillators tend to play about an octave higher without aliasing, perhaps indicating an improved oscillator algorithm.

btw, I have an expanded G2 rack and an expanded G2 keys on ebay right now, if anyone's in the market:

The rack

The Keys

• Members

I noticed that. How come you are selling?

I'm now using Reaktor to design synthesizers. Although Reaktor's a much slower programming environment, I can experiment with greater precision.

And I've been using Nord Modulars (of various types) for six years now. I'm ready for something new, and for the cash that can finance it.

I'm gonna miss that pitch stick, though. I've really grown to like that.

Archived