Buying A Used Muse Receptor

Binkeys

• Members

I'm toying with the idea of buying a used Muse Receptor. The version I can get is a Rev. B at a very sweet price. What do I need to look for spec wise i.e. RAM? I'd like to make sure I'm not getting shortchanged on anything.

So far, I have Ivory and Scarbee's Keyboard Bundle, which I believe have both been Receptorized, and I'd love to use them live. Is this worth doing?

Are these practical to use live w/o dragging a monitor along?

Thanks!

• Members

The Plugorama website lists all plugins supported in the Muse Receptor:

http://www.plugorama.com/customer/home.php

The Scarbee Vintage Keyboard Collection (Kontakt format) does not need to be "Receptorized" since it is a Kontakt native format library (no player included -- you must load it into Kontakt 2 or 3)

http://www.scarbee.com/products/index.php

Just FYI, Muse is currently running a "limited time" upgrade for the Receptor. Although it states the pricing ends Dec 31st, you could probably call them (or buy the upgrade) prior to Dec. 31st:

https://www.plugorama.com/receptor_upgrades.php

• Members

I have the Steinberg Halion Player version of Scarbee. Will that work?

No. The Halion Player uses a Syncrosoft dongle, and no Syncrosoft dongle protected products are supported on the Receptor, which uses an iLok dongle.

Muse has alot of good training videos online, so you can see how everything works. As I recall, you can watch all of them in 30 minutes or less:

http://www.museresearch.com/support.php?r=videos

• Members

I decided not to get the Receptor.

Here's what happened.

I called the store and spoke to the manager. He told me he'd be happy to set it up so I could check it out.

When I came in, he told me that he couldn't say anything bad over the phone, 'cause other people were around, but he'd advise against buying one of these.

He says they take too long to load, and are nice in theory, but not in practice. He says they make a big deal out of the fact that U2 is using them on tour, but he claims U2 has a bank of them and is switching from one to the other as needed, so they don't have to wait for patches to load during or in between songs.

He then booted up the Receptor, and we couldn't get any of the onboard plugs to work other than one really bad clav. He then hauled over another demo model (this one belonged to Muse and wasn't for sale) and the same thing happened.

Then, he brought over a third Muse-owned demo module and that had some plugs working. I don't know which ones they were, but we were able to get some sounds out of the unit. It seemed, based on patch load times, that this wouldn't be a great solution for live use, especially on club dates, where I'd have to be concerned about the very occasional power outage/drunk tripping over a plug, etc.

So, my very limited experience, coupled with the fact that I couldn't tell if the unit I was going to buy (a floor model) actually worked, gave me pause. I decided not to pull the trigger. After all, if there is an issue with the unit, it'd be a headache and I wouldn't be able to flip it if I decided it wasn't working out.

Also, the fact that my version of Scarbee won't work with it means the only plug I currently have that I'd like to take live is Ivory. Seems a bit expensive just for that. I could put the $$$ towards a nice stage piano instead.

It was really strange that he was trying to talk me out of it, though. He wasn't trying to sell me anything else and I'm not a regular customer.

• Members

My guess is that something is up at the store. I have a Rev A (the slowest model there is) and the longest load time I have is about 8 seconds, which is usually a sample-based VST like M-Tron. Most VSTs like Minimonsta, Oddity, B4II, etc... take about 2 seconds or less and these are actual patches that are comprised of 2-4 VSTs. I play club dates all the time and never really have an issue with load times. One thing I will say is that it is subject to vibration, so don't set it on top of an amp putting out considerable low-end volume. In its own rack on a table or the floor, it is fine.

I find it to be a great solution for using VSTs. It is a specialized piece of gear and doesn't really compete against ROMplers. It targets someone who wants to choose his instruments with individual interfaces for editing vs. someone who finds a manufacturer's choice of instruments with a common interface for editing acceptable.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

A system that's been working great for me (I'm a receptor owner) is the SKB studio flyer. It comes with 2 or 4 rack spaces with a top shelf for a laptop or screen. It has pass through for cables and let's you carry your Receptor and Screen/Laptop around like on piece of gear. Check it out, http://www.skbcases.com/music/news/news-detail.php?id=72

Archived