Arp Odyssey Prices

OPEN OCEAN

• Members

Prices always fluctuate. Sometimes high, other times low. I won't buy any of those retro analogs unless they're cheap. Some people think they're worth top dollar when actually it's all about how trendy something is and will go back down once the sound passes by and a new sound arises.

• Members

A quick check of completed e@ay auctions shows an average price over $1000 ... one that was described as needing service and not capable of producing any sound went for $800:freak: another modified oddy went for over $3000 , finding good deals on these synths is not as easy as it was a few years ago.

• Members

A quick check of completed e@ay auctions shows an average price over $1000 ... one that was described as needing service and not capable of producing any sound went for $800:freak: another modified oddy went for over $3000 , finding good deals on these synths is not as easy as it was a few years ago.

That's why I'm hanging onto mine :D

Now to get it working 100% ...

• Members

Well, they are cool and nobody's making them anymore. And no, software versions aren't any substitute. I've never had an Odyssey, but my Explorer I sounds really Arpy. Much prettier than the Pro-One. It sucks that great synths, many of which are due for the scrap heep, are fetching thousands of $$$$ now. I never paid more than $150 for any of my analogue stuff. Actually, that was my rule in the early 90's. If it's old and $150, I'll take it. I almost walked away from my Rhodes because it was $160 and the store wouldn't go down any more. My friend gave me $10 just to shut me up. Ah, the wonderful early 90's...

• Members

If people are paying more for an Odyssey than a new MEK (what... around $1100), a vastly superior mono analog synth in every area, that's vintage insanity.

I have played Odysseys when they were current (a good friend had one), and I found it to be a very mediocre synth. The only reason some players had them back in the 1970s was because it could do sync-sweeps and pwm, and had sample and hold (things not on a Minimoog).

• Members

The only reason some players had them back in the 1970s was because it could do sync-sweeps and pwm, and had sample and hold (things not on a Minimoog).

:confused: I always thought the reason so many Oddys were sold was due to the fact that they sound so good :)

• Members

I bought my first one for about $350 - very good condition, totally functional, sliders moved well, etc.

I bought my second one for about $225 I think and sold it for about the same - functional, but with 2 broken slider tabs and some were kinda scratchy.

These were both personal or music store sales.

Moral: ebay is crazy...

It is a cool synth though. My favorite analog monosynth that fits a whole lot into a size that is actually managable and can be carried around. I would take it over a minimoog 100 times over.

Archived