Invisible stand on ebay

sparetime

• Members

Hi all.

I mostly lurk. I'm just a keyboard hobbyist so don't often have much to contribute (I probably say that every time I post. just found my sig?).

It's not my stand for sale, but I know these are highly regarded. I'm in the market for a two tier. Can't decide between a standtastic 122 or an onstage platform 7150 with 2nd tier add-on. I like the lower profile of the arms on the standtastic but I've read of the large footprint. I have a quiklok Z stand with 2nd tier and the arms on 2nd tier are too fat for my tastes, raises the 2nd board too high (CX3 on top of a RD700). So I'm torn.

Auction is 150219919915. It's a 3 tier stand. Oh, and to look at these invisible stands with all that cable and bracing, looks like the setup wouldn't be as quick as the standtastic or onstage.

Trin

• Members

Invisible Stands are the most overrated and flimsy things ever made, which is precisely why they are no longer made. They are essentially made out of screen door tensioners - I'm surprised someone hasn't just scraped together some simple hardware store parts and made clones. Invisible Stands are awkward to transport and they require ridiculous amounts of labor to set them up and take them down. And they rust from simple humidity. I threw one out, which I regret only because today I could've sold it for stupid amounts of money on eBay to one of their fans.

• Members

I can't quite agree with The Pro. My Invisible stand sets up MUCH quicker than my Standtastic, and is quite stable although not as solid as my Standtastic. The cabling is all pre-attached, you have one cross bar and two upper bars to mount (15 seconds) and one more cross piece to fit and tighten (30 seconds). You're done.

They ARE a pain to carry (albeit much lighter than anything else) and mine rusted too, in the high desert of Utah that's not a good thing.

• Members

Invisible Stand = best stand on the planet, bar none. Been using them for 20+ years...most stable, durable and portable stand I've owned. Sets up in less than 30 seconds. The Pro and I agree to disagree on this. I've converted many others and he is the only one I've ever seen to not like it.

I will mention that one Invisible sold recently on eBay for $400 and that was definitely not worth that kind of cash.

• Members

Yup. Eric has jumped to the defense of IS over at the MF forums (too) many times and we've had freindly spars over it in the past.

If IS were so great, they'd not only still be around but they would be cloned to no end. That's what I don't get - these things are hardly rocket science so why doesn't someone offer them out of their garage? I simply don't think the demand is there, or ever was. You couldn't give me one. And that one that sold on eBay just proves the PT Barnum expression about suckers being born every minute.

• Members

I've had one for 20+ years. The only thing it ever needed was a replacement turnbuckle thing for the tensioning rod- less than a buck. It is definitely the most stable stand I've ever had. Virtually zero up and down movement and very very little side to side motion. The only reason I changed out to a 2 tier X stand is the X gives me better adjustment of how the top keyboard angles down over the bottom board. It resides in my basement studio now, holding my NL2 and one of my other gigging boards whenever I need one down there.

• Members

Invisible Stand = best stand on the planet, bar none. .... I've converted many others and he is the only one I've ever seen to not like it.

I will mention that one Invisible sold recently on eBay for $400 and that was definitely not worth that kind of cash.

I've personally been converted by Eric and can vouch for the experience.

Actually it looks like 2 stands sold recently for over $400 but both were an unusual "rapid setup" version. Any details on these eric and whether it is much of an improvement?

John

• Members

I've personally been converted by Eric and can vouch for the experience.

Actually it looks like 2 stands sold recently for over $400 but both were an unusual "rapid setup" version. Any details on these eric and whether it is much of an improvement?

John

That's kind of a shame that the Invisible rapid set-up stands are selling so high. That is one of the last models they made called the IS2 that has a quick-release fold-up mechanism. I bought one when they were on closeout several years ago for $25, I kid you not. This stand is not in the same class as the other Invisible stands, unfortunately (hoping it was not a fellow forumite that won those). The IS2 has lighter-gauge construction, adjustability is not as flexible and it does not easily break down into smaller pieces like the earlier stands. It is a quick set up with the push-button release, but the stand takes up a lot more room when folded and there is no great way to protect it. The one I had was on the road with me for a bit and one of the bars got bent to the point that I did not want to use it any more. So I moved that one to our rehearsal space, where it is just fine for 1-2 rehearsals per month.

I did not realize the demand was so high for these stands! I can understand it, being one of the primary enthusiasts for over 20 years. $400 is CRAZY MONEY for that stand! If you are buying one, please AVOID the IS2 rapid setup.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Currently I own:

Z-Stand - the sturdiest stand ever made, the foundation of my studio. Rock solid but a little heavy and ungainly for gigging.

Monolith - Fastest/sturdiest stand for gigging I know of. Set up or take down is two seconds. Lays flat but a little awkward for transport. Great innovative design.

V-Stand: My fav. Folds into the smallest package of any stand. Fast setup/takedown. Sturdy if used in the sitting position, bouncy if setup for standing. Prevents pedals from sliding.

X-Stands: Hate 'em. Had one collapse during a gig once (the one with alligator teeth). Still have a few around for holding mixers etc.

Fold-up tables from Sam's Club: Hey for $20 these things are great, and they come in black!. I use one for my DJ gear. Too handy - I have a couple.

That should be plenty of stand alternatives to choose from, all of which are better stands than Invisible Stands and all are actually being sold new today. IS is the only stand I've ever tossed in the garbage... even my old despised X-Stands are in the attic just in case I need to saw boards on them or something. It's really time to close the book on defunct IS junk unless you plan on starting up manufacturing or something.

• Members

I'm with The Pro on this one. Like Eric, I've been using my Invisible for 20 years, and it sure doesn't look like his! The bag gave out in 5, and after that it was all downhill... rust and bent pieces. But I'm gigging and moving all the time.

I think it's a matter of how much you're on the move whether you like it or not. If you just play out occasionally it's a better deal.

My bandmates used to give me a bad time about my "Erector Set" stand every time I brought it in, with pieces strung through my arms and cables dangling from parts of it in my hands.

It's now permanently set up at my church. It is stable. I'll give it that. More than an X.

• Members

I had to trash the bag for mine when cat pissed on it. I had left it at the guy's house where we were practicing. I had duct taped the corners, those tore out after a few years of use. After that I just loaded it up. I repainted it one time with black rustoleum. I still have the 3rd set of keyboard supports and all of the rubber things that go on them.

• Members

I'm with The Pro on this one. Like Eric, I've been using my Invisible for 20 years, and it sure doesn't look like his! The bag gave out in 5, and after that it was all downhill... rust and bent pieces. But I'm gigging and moving all the time.

I think it's a matter of how much you're on the move whether you like it or not. If you just play out occasionally it's a better deal.

My bandmates used to give me a bad time about my "Erector Set" stand every time I brought it in, with pieces strung through my arms and cables dangling from parts of it in my hands.

It's now permanently set up at my church. It is stable. I'll give it that. More than an X.

It's weird how a few people have had such bad experiences, but I suppose that is true for everything on the planet. As for the comments about rust and use on the road, one of the stands in my arsenal was on tour with me 20 nights a month for 6 or 7 years. It did accumulate a little road grime and some rust (as did all my keyboards, amps, briefcase, etc.). I'm pleased to still be gigging 3-5x per month with the same stand that I've had since 1987.

• Members

ahh. the old invisible stand.

I always preferred the look of this stand to the Deltex and Apex stands in that era (you know the decade- I had a Mirage and a Poly 800 on it). My invisible stand seemed so 'different' then- though it was really a concoction of odd wire frames :lol:... I was always tightening that darn key in the middle.. thinking it would make the stand more stable- but it always had just a bit of wobble to it.:rolleyes:

Though I am a little nostalgic for it.. and never got the elusive lower rackmount add on (that was so cool). - and it could actually handle quite a bit of weight- more so than you'd think from the looks of it.

alas... its' inability to:

1. tilt any synths at an angle

2. cascade one keyboard to overlap the lower keyboard.

meant I had to give it up. (though I think Eric's rig *does* look quite good with the 'retro' invisible stands). (- but what stand wouldn't look good with an Electro and an analog monosynth?)

So- at home it is the Ultimate tubes (ultimately configurable- pardon the pun)

& live - I switched to the dreaded Apex stand (it was way faster to set up- and felt more solid than the invisible- though I would not put anything wider that a 61 key synth on it- .....maybe that's why eric has that monstrous S90 on it).

Archived