How to load .mid files into a virus

Metrosonus

• Members

this is from another thread a while ago but if anyone is interested, here it is.

to reload the factory patches into your virus, you need to create and account at access.de and register your virus with it's serial number. then download the latest OS for your synths. the factory patches will be contained within the zip file in a .mid file.

the non ti viruses use .mid files to transfer the OS and patches, why I don't know. it's a PITA. heres a run down on the various methods i have tried:

sounddiver virus - access hosts, sucks, obviously. the most common problem by far is the virus returning an error: checksum error or something like that. not to mention i had it crash several time on me.

rekon audio virus c editor - works only as a VST and only loads .fxb, meaning no librarian functionality at all.

Vcommander - the best solution so far. loads .mid and sysex, although it's a bit counter intuitive, the website has an extensive help section. No VST although you can route midi in / out with midi yoke or something. Worked right the first time. editing is a bit rough, not as pretty as midiquest, but usable. PITA to find, this guy didn't make it easy to search for.

http://www.solar3d-software.com/

MIDI quest - nice to look at, but crashed several times. the editing is great, but i was a bit disappointed with the librarian features.

• Members

I used a trial version of Sonar when I upgraded the OS on my C to 6. I think I also loaded some MIDI file that expanded the amount of patch memory and loaded new presets. It was a while ago. I guess the intial Virus C systems had a cap on the ROM.

Like most older MIDI synths, the pre-Ti Viruses only support MIDI sysex for transferring data, so that is why they use .MID files.

• Members

you might be right, my C has banks A-H i think, but the factory patches only cover A & B.

I didn't even bother looking for a reliable way to convert .mid to sysex. in my mind using a .mid files is like using audio cassettes to backup data. i'm sure there's plenty of exceptions, but so far the viruses are the only ones i've come across that use .mid files :idk: they also use sysex, but sysex seems to be more universally accepted than .mid

• Members

Still considering it, I cannot believe how bad the factory presets are when I hear all the "aftermarket" patches.

It might be the stuff that the previous owner had on there and maybe I have to go for a factory reset. I have to check the patch list and see what it is.

I don't think it was ever expanded either...I think I only have 5 banks.

• Members

you might be right, my C has banks A-H i think, but the factory patches only cover A & B.

I didn't even bother looking for a reliable way to convert .mid to sysex. in my mind using a .mid files is like using audio cassettes to backup data. i'm sure there's plenty of exceptions, but so far the viruses are the only ones i've come across that use .mid files
:idk:
they also use sysex, but sysex seems to be more universally accepted than .mid

Ah, I see what you are saying. I did not know that .mid and sysex formats are actually different. I just know that they are both MIDI data. Sonar worked fine with the .mid files.

Archived