Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis QS8 or Korg SG Pro X

Hi Everyone-

Was hoping someone could give me an opinion on these two older boards. Have the opportunity to purchase either for a pretty good price. I want to learn to play as well as record some music. Anyone have experience with these? Better action, sounds, reliability, flexibility for midi purposes? Thanks for your thoughts. Working on an extreme budget, this is why I am looking at these older units. Thanks again!

Qs8 more versatile

But I personally loathe the stock pianos, although the optional jazz piano qcard is pretty dope

Korg's piano sound less bright, better for solo
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"></font></div>

Comment

Thanks. What do you mean by better for solo? So the QS8 has the better sounds?

Comment

QS8 has plenty sounds, keyboards, organs, strings, woodwinds, pads, etc... and it's a real synthesizer . but the stock pianos are, you know subjective. I find it "metallic" thin.

Korg has fewer sounds, it was marketed as a stage piano, and the pianos sound good.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"></font></div>

Comment

I've had a QS8 since it came out. It's my only ROMpler. For the price, the sounds and action are excellent. There's a forum member here who sells an acoustic piano and Rhodes card for the QS. The stock piano sounded great at the time. They're just a bit long in the tooth after 15 years. I never hesitate to recommend The QS to people on a budget or non-keyboard freaks. At the time, it was a revolutionary instrument in its price point. Still works too. If mine broke, I'd replace it with another.

I have no experience with the Korg.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2">Alesis QS8, Ensoniq Fizmo, Oberheim OB-12, E-MU Vintage Keys Plus, Rhodes 73 Stage, Wurlitzer 145, Wurlitzer 146B, Wurlitzer 206A, Yamaha CP-70B, Yamaha CP-30, Kawai EP-608, Hohner D6 Clavinet, Mellotron M400, Hammond M-3, Vox Jaguar, Baldwin Fun Machine, Wurlitzer MLM, SCI Pro-One, Moog Rogue, Arp Explorer I, Moog Opus 3, Arp Omni 2, Multivox MX-202, Crumar Orchestrator, Crumar Performer, Akai AX80, Akai AX60 w/S612 sampler, Korg Poly 800, Ensoniq Mirage, Roland CR-78.</font></div>

Comment

The Korg SG Pro X was a decent piano for the time.... but only decent. I used one for 4 years as a rack module to my old Roland RD300S (1987 model) circa 1998-2002. The piano on the Korg is not very dynamic and shrill when in the gigging situation. I tended to stick with rhodes sounds and hammond for most gigs... and those were not exactly fantastic either... without a doubt even the cheapest 'P' Series Yamaha piano (or p80/p90/p120 and their brethren) of today would kill off the piano in the Korg.

I know nothing about the QS.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by tspit74
              View Post

I've had a QS8 since it came out. It's my only ROMpler. For the price, the sounds and action are excellent. There's a forum member here who sells an acoustic piano and Rhodes card for the QS. The stock piano sounded great at the time. They're just a bit long in the tooth after 15 years. I never hesitate to recommend The QS to people on a budget or non-keyboard freaks. At the time, it was a revolutionary instrument in its price point. Still works too. If mine broke, I'd replace it with another.

I have no experience with the Korg.

I totally agree with this post. But I'm kind of biased.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="https://twitter.com/ArtScienceSound/status/208313686459293697" target="_blank"><font color="blue">&quot;I remember when dubstep was just called &quot;LFO-Locked-Filter-On-Square-Wave-Bass-Synth&quot; in the '60s&quot; - Alan Parsons</font></a><br />
              <br />
              <font size="1">Kurzweil PC3<font size="2">♦</font></font><font size="1">Alesis Fusion 6HD</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis Quadrasynth+Piano (3)</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis QS7.1 (2)</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis QSR</font>♦<font size="1"> Alesis S4+</font>♦<font size="1">Alesis DMPRO</font>♦<font size="1">Evolution MK-461C</font>♦<font size="1">Rhodes Mark II Stage 73</font>♦<font size="1">Roland JX-8P</font>♦<font size="1">Kawai K1 &amp; K1m</font>♦<br />
              <font size="1"> <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              </font></div>

Comment

Working...