Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2112 Intro Sound

It sounds like an ARP, but doesn't Geddy only play Moogs? I can get a similar sound by turning up the resonance knob and turning the cutoff to change the pitch, but it's hard to control. Is that what he did?

It was a Nord Lead...or an ARP 2600.
    Keyboards: Roland Fantom G6 (2); Korg Kronos 61; Muse Receptor VIP; Nord Electro 3; Privia PX-350Guitar Stuff: Route 101 Solimar; Line 6 POD X3 Live, Pocket POD (2)

Comment

It's Hugh Syme (Rush's go-to album cover artist and sometimes-guest-keyboardist) dinking around with an ARP 2600 with generous amounts of Space Echo. Playing around with the resonance and cutoff controls sounds like pretty much what he did.

Comment

I use to do it on a Korg DW8000.... Lots of long delay, and a little bit of white noise. Wasn't perfect, but with practice it was impressive enough for gigs at pubs and small clubs. Fun times.

Comment

It doesn't seem like a very special sound, easy to do with many synths. I always thought Geddy's Oberheim synth work was his best, Tom Sawyer being the obvious signature song for OB sounds.
          I synth, therefore I am.

Comment

I'd say one or two oscillators, white noise, and low-pass filter cutoff with resonance.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by KingVidiot
              View Post

It doesn't seem like a very special sound, easy to do with many synths. I always thought Geddy's Oberheim synth work was his best, Tom Sawyer being the obvious signature song for OB sounds.

Maybe I need a real synth instead of soft synths.

Comment

Hugh Syme: "I was in their studio in Toronto - my first ever visit to their legendarily private inner sanctum - and one thing led to another," says Syme. "Geddy and I were huddled on the floor with my Arp Odyssey synth, operating envelope filters and playing notes to produce the soundscape that opened the overture of 2112. I then went down the hall for a few hours, and developed my Mellotron string and horn parts for Geddy's song, Tears. It's still a-very fond memory."

http://www.zoominfo.com/#!search/pro...rgetid=profile

Comment

Working...
                X