Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Fantom G6 - Are you kidding me?

So I had a conversation with a friend yesterday that went something like this:

Me: I've been considering setting up a home studio with Cakewalk Sonar X2 Producer so I can start producing demos of my music.

Friend: Dude, you have a G6 don't you?

Me: Yeah, but I never play it, it just kinda sits there, why?

Friend: You do realize you can get some pretty decent demos including external instruments and vocals all from the board?

Me: What? Really? I don't know much about the board, I just got a good deal on it and bought it.

So is this true? Should I be diving into the G6 manual figuring this stuff out? Can this board really produce decent demos that include vocals, etc.?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Use whatever method gets you closest to the end result with the least amount of trouble. Try both and see which fits your normal workflow better.

Comment

• shambler
      shambler commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a workstation, everything you need is there...most people prefer a DAW though.

"So is this true? Should I be diving into the G6 manual figuring this stuff out? Can this board really produce decent demos that include vocals, etc.?"

Gary, I have both Fantom, and Sonar.  I definitely suggest that you read the manuals because yes, the G6 is perfectly capable to produce professional-quality recordings on its own.  Also, if you still don't plan to use the Fantom, but Sonar, be aware that even learning Sonar requires a looong time to invest in reading the manual - which is hundreds of pages.  In comparison, reading the manual for the G6 has arguably a less steep learning curve.

So in both cases, I would definitely invest the time in reading the manuals for both.  You can get great sounds from the on-board soft synths in Sonar, but the sounds on the Fantom are at least as good, and probably a notch up once you start adding the superb SRX line of expansion boards.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><b><a href="http://www.synthmania.com" target="_blank"><font size="2"><b><font color="red">Synth</font><font color="orange">Mania</font><font color="gray"><font size="1">.com</font></font></b></font></a><br />
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/SynthManiaDotCom" target="_blank"><font size="2"><b><font color="darkblue">Synth</font><font color="lightblue">Mania</font><font color="gray"><font size="1">YouTube</font></font></b></font></a></b></div>

Comment

• Bernard
      Bernard commented
      Editing a comment

Paolo Di Nicolantonio wrote: ..once you start adding the superb SRX line of expansion boards.

Fantom G not X, so he can consider ARX expansions on the G or add a sonic cell or a fantom xr rack for SRX

Working...
X