Akai MPD32 controller to edit Ensoniq ZR76 patches? (NOOB here)

Jddausch

• Members

I just picked up a ZR76 for a project. I love the sounds, but some of them could be much better with some tweaking. I'm BRAND new to the MIDI thing (knobs and sliders guy here). I'd like to use the Akai MPD32 (or something like it) to edit the sounds. Is it possible to assign the knobs and sliders on a unit like that to parameters on the synth sounds to tweak in real time? I've ordered an editor for the computer, but I've never had much luck getting stuff to work on my home computer.

Just wondering if if his is a possibility and if anyone has some good links to get the basics down for something like this. I'm an old dog looking at new tricks.

Thanks

• Members

Those ZR/MR keyboards were way ahead of their time, IMHO. I have an MR76 sitting right next to me now; I've had it since 1998 and love it. I finally replaced it in my live rig with a Yamaha CP4 (lighter and better pianos, plus the MR76 has a few dodgy keys.) As usual when replacing a keyboard, it has some sounds I just can't duplicate on anything else (e.g., the Suitcase Piano -- I love that, especially layered with other sounds.)

I don't know much about the MPD32, but if it's programmable to send arbitrary MIDI CC's for the sliders, you should get some capability, though not sure how much.

Here's the ZR76 manual:

http://www.fumph.com/ensoniq_mr/zr76.pdf

The MIDI implementation starts at page 450, and starts right off with the CC list, which you can definitely take advantage of with the MPD32 assuming it's programmable.

Tangential to what you asked, these keyboards were intended to be programmable deeper than you can do from the front panel, using a computer with MIDI and Chicken Systems Translator software (which came with the keyboards). I tried it but my piano has very early ROM versions and it didn't work, but my understanding is that for most folks it works great. Try googling as perhaps there's a specific version or some setup/personality files you need.

Archived