DSI Pro2 vs Moog Sub 37

nspikito

• Members

Hi gang,

I own a Moog Little Phatty that I use exclusively for lead solos. I love it but have always missed Aftertouch. Now Moog issued the new Sub 37, which has both aftertouch and velocity sensitivity, plus some other kool features including paraphonic mode that allows you to play 2 notes at once. I was about to upgrade when I discovered the DSI Pro2, a mixed digital/analog synth with features similar to the Sub 37, plus some other goodies like a sequencer. I'm tempted, but I want to know upfront whether the DSI Pro2 can produce the warm lead sounds so characteristic of Moog. I know the DSI Pro2 can create screaming leads with lots of cojones, but I don't want to lose the rich Moog-style sound. Does anyone know if the DSI Pro2 can replicate this type of sound? I suspect so, but I can't get my hands on one near where I live.

Thanks!

Spike

• Members

I am far from an expert on this subject, but from the youtube samples I've seen and the gear thread discussions I've read, I don't think you are going to recreate the Moog sounds with the DSI, but my preference would be first for the DSI and then acquire a Moog down the line somewhere

• Members

Thanks for your input. It's pretty clear that the Pro2 is more powerful and more flexible than the Sub 37, but I am still on the fence, partly because I am already comfortable with my Little Phatty, so the transition to a Sub 37 will be rather seamless. Also I do like the Moog sound, which is ideal for my main purpose: solos and live performance (R&B and fusion jazz). I'm not yet convinced that the Pro2 can produce that warm/lyrical sound.

Spike

• Members

I saw some cool videos on the Pro2 and how to make it more "analog" sounding. It's a VERY versatile synth. If I had the funds I'd get one to replace my Phatty. I actually just pulled the trigger on a Novation Ultranova that is going to replace the Phatty. The Phatty sounds awesome, but it's really a one trick pony. I need a little more versatility for my Floyd band and the Novation will provide that with lots of modulation routing and aftertouch so I can do LFO triggering without taking my left hand off another keyboard. It'll also trim down my setup some since it's got onboard effects.

• Members

I have not heard the Pro2, but in videos, and on the basis of it's specs and features, I am sure it is a fantastic instrument. And I am sure I would love to have one. :)

That being said, it has been my experience that someone who is looking for that "Moog sound" is probably only going to be happy with a Moog. I have a Little Phatty and have never been able to effectively replicate it with anything else, including a Prophet 08 and a DSI Mopho.

One can debate the need for that sound... I certainly don't need bona fide Moog basses and leads in my music. And in a complicated mix, I am not sure that anyone can tell the difference between a Moog and a Pro2 or even Diva.

I have, however, played a Moog Sub 37, and I would REALLY like to have one of those someday. Fantastic tone, and lots more knobs and features than the Little Phatty. I just need to get my kids out of school and maybe I will have money to buy synths again.

Archived