Few questions about Motif XF8

OnKeyboards

• Members

Hi Folks,

I'm basically a Korg user when it comes to combinations (split/performance patches).

However I've got to play this open stage thing, where I'm not allowed to bring my own synth. I can sit at the club and program for an hour or so on their keyboard rig.

So they have a Motif XF8 with unweighted keys, and one weighted master keyboard which I was told transmits to the Motif on the same midi channel as the internal keyboard.

I would like to program a "performance" where each keyboard triggers different patches and sounds.

I've read the relevant sections in the XF8 user manual, and I have several questions (just to see if I got it right):

1. Is it really impossible to edit one part's receiving MIDI channel? (So I can't set some parts to channel 1 and other parts to channel 2)

2. Does that really prevents me from using these two keyboards for different patches?

3. Does a master patch solve this issue? (having only 16 such patches is no problem)

4. Does the Motif have a quick way of switching between performances? (like the Korg A/B bank toggle switch)

5. Is it true that performances have a maximum of four patches/zones?

6. Can I plug a USB stick and directly play patches from it? (without loading all memory and overwriting all existing patches that the other keyboard player has)

I thought of preparing the patches on another Motif unit and then come to the Gig with the USB stick all set up.

p.s. sorry if I got the official Yamaha terms wrong

Archived