EastonBoards - Custom made Wooden Keytar

TuomasEaston

• Members

Hey guys, I wanted to share the process for making my Wooden Keytars! For this model, I used an M-AUDIO Keystation 49es for the components, and Oak boards for the casing. 

1) Out of the Box

Out of the box

2) Cutting out the components

Components

3) cutting out the bed for the keys

Key Bed

Key Bed 2

4)Cutting out hand-control section

IMAG0557.jpg

IMAG0556.jpg

5) mounting in controls and wiring

IMAG0567.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0583.jpg

IMAG0579.jpg

6) Building the case layers

IMAG0636.jpg

IMAG0655.jpg

7) Backplate and input access

IMAG0654.jpg

IMAG0653.jpg

IMAG0658.jpg

8) Routing and sanding

IMAG0685.jpg

IMAG0687.jpg

9) Staining

IMAG0690.jpg

IMAG0692.jpg

IMAG0694.jpg

10) Logo and Finished!

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0704.jpg

IMAG0708.jpg

Hope you like it!!

If anyone is interested, these are custom made-to-order and I'd love to build you one!

http://www.tuomaseaston.com/

http://www.eastonboards.com/  (or until site is up, email me: tuomaseastonofficial@gmail.com)

• Members

Wow, thats allot of work just to have a wooden box around a cheap keyboard. It looks nice and all and some may prefer it in their studio or living room for astetic purposes. I'm not into branding some other companies gear as if it was my own though. Its kind of like like sticking the word gibson on a fake guitar except in reverse. 

It shouldnt infringe on any patents, unless you attempt to sell it, and if you do plan on selling it, I dont suggest post it on sites like this owned by Musicians friend that sells M-Audio stuff. You have a record in their data base now and it could come back and haunt you if your business takes off and you are using their electronics without their permission. If you sell just the housing, or sell a rehousing service, then theres nothing they can do. Its just if you sell it as though its your own electronics in the unit that could land you in court up to your eyeballs. Companies, especially Japanese companies have no problem nailling your ass to the wall for infringements. I know I worked for many over the years.

• Members

WRGKMC

That's certainly true, and good advice. I never intended to rebrand M-Audio's keyboards as my own, just offering a more unique casing option for people, hopefully to make keytars seem a little cooler to the masses. 

This one was a prototype, and mostly a test of my wood-working skills to see how a 'wooden keytar' would actually end up looking. Eventually, on the website, people will be able to choose which internal keyboard they'd like (right now I'm working with Musicians Friend directly as a distributor for M-Audio). The customers can then choose the type of wood, stain, style, etc they'd like for the made-to-order case. 

Ultimately, for this post, I really just wanted to show the work I did in building this one because I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I hope this might inspire other people to build their own custom instruments. 

Thanks for the response!

• 1 month later...

Archived