EMG 81/85 installation problems!

jlot

• Members

Hey guys,

I've been battling with this problem for 3 nights, even EMG tech support is stumped...

Trying to install EMG's 81 and 85 into my Gibson Explorer.

It has the 2 vol pots, 1 tone pot configuration.

I've wired it according to the diagram (I think?) but am not getting any sound from the pick-ups.

However, when I plug in the guitar cable *halfway*, I do get a sound... from both pickups at the same time, but the vol pots don't seem to have any response... just kind of a "buzz".

Done all the double-checking stuff: tried different guitar cables, different batteries, etc.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?

I've attatched the wiring diagram and a photo of how I wired it up. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! THANKS!

explorer8185.jpg

emg2v1t5xq.jpg

• Members

Wow...So EMG's tech support didn't just jerk me around either. Good to know that the suck equally for everybody.

What a worthless company. Sorry to hear you are having problems. Because of EMG's unprofessionalism, I no longer do any work on EMG's now.

-Zach Omega

• Members

LOL, yeah... well the EMG tech did make an attempt, I'll give him credit for that... But I'd kind of expect an official tech to know these pickups inside and out, and be able to troubleshoot a little better.

This is the 4th guitar I've installed pickups on, but first time dealing with EMG's. All of the other pickup installations (Fender, Gibson, SD) went fine without a hitch... the EMG's are a major bitch to deal with, bah!

I'm probably gonna end up ripping everything out and try it again from scratch... possible that I missed a wire or have a bad solder joint somewhere. If that dosn't work, I'm taking them to a guitar tech tomorrow, had enough of this already, heh.

• Members

Originally posted by ajcoholic

from your pic of the switch, it looks like you may have soldered the two center leafs to the ground lug on the switch - did you? The switch body/ground cannot touch the leafs.

AJC

Thanks, but that's not it either...

The guitar is 2 weeks old, I didn't touch anything on the switch itself. The black wire is actually soldered to a bottom leaf, directly below the green wire on the top leaf. Sorry, bad angle on the pic!

Archived