Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone knows a good website I can learn about building Neck

I would like to get into doing that, so i don't have to buy fender/ Warmouth .I can come up with my Own head stock. and not look like everyone else.I have built tele body.Had trouble when it came time to route ,I could not get the pockets right .

Try http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/

Look through it. There are many projects involving bass necks. Guitar necks should be the same but smaller.

Comment

on the page in my sig i just added a write up on building a neck. still adding stuff like fretting and shaping. but it will be there! its not too bad
      Ibanez Artcore AS73 with SD's
      Ibanez Ergodyne 5-String Bass
      Ovation E-coustic 12-String
      Original 1970's Applause with Custom Built Martin X-braced Soundboard

Building Guitars with Minimal Tools
      Guitar Backtracks

Comment

You know, if you can get your hands on a cheap ass neck and take it apart you'll learn a ton. Take the fretboard off and study it. That's all I did before was add fretboards to pre-built necks or replace fretboards but from looking at them it started to sink that hey - I could do this.

Comment

Suggest Melvyn Hiscock's book, also Cumpiano & Natelson as well as Benedetto. All three show different methods to get consistent results. I mostly use a process of faceting, fairing the surfaces, and smoothing with scraper & sandpaper.

For routing, the easiest and most consistent method is to use templates, either with brass template guides on the router or bearing bits. I make mine from (almost) 1/4" thick acrylic with some registration lines scribed on the bottom, and 1/8" oversized so that I can use a 1/2" brass guide and a 1/4" bit (or 3/4" and 1/2", depending on the cut).
          SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
          Lulu Edition
          Kindle Edition
          iTunes iBookstore
          Nook Edition

Comment

MIMF-a bit uptight, but lots of small and hobby builders who know what they're doing.
            LarryProud Member: Mazi Bee MilitaGreat deals With: messiahofevil, Belt. xtchc1978, baddmann28, Overwhelmed987,OldGtrNovice,Ejendres and SlaveUnitWon't deal with: Bluesmann (counterfeit guitar fan)

Comment

MIMF-a bit uptight

LOL. They've got more rules than the USGA. But yes, definitely a good source of information in the archives.
              SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
              Lulu Edition
              Kindle Edition
              iTunes iBookstore
              Nook Edition

Comment

Not as difficult as it may appear. Like many other things, you get better with time. Knowledge of basic woodworking skills is all you really need, the rest is experience.

Comment

Not as difficult as it may appear. Like many other things, you get better with time. Knowledge of basic woodworking skills is all you really need, the rest is experience.

agreed, i just finished my first neck, and it wasnt very hard! havent got the body done yet, so i havent REALLY tried it out. but id just dive in and go for it!
                  Ibanez Artcore AS73 with SD's
                  Ibanez Ergodyne 5-String Bass
                  Ovation E-coustic 12-String
                  Original 1970's Applause with Custom Built Martin X-braced Soundboard

Building Guitars with Minimal Tools
                  Guitar Backtracks

Comment

+1 on the Hiscock book.

There is also a lot of info at projectguitar.com
                    http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...nother-guitar.

Comment

Working...
                    X