Problem with Static in Recordings

• Members

Hello, all!

For the past two days, there has been a lot of static/noise appearing in my guitar and bass recordings. When I recorded on this song using the same setup about two weeks ago, there were no issues. The noise does not appear in the recording right away. I can usually record a few measures before it begins to show up, but it is not consistent in the exact length.

I am using Sonar Producer Edition 6 on a computer with a quad core processor, 4 GB RAM, and an M-Audio Delta 1010LT. The system is running Windows Vista.

I have tried both recording through my hardware mixer and recording directly into the sound card. No difference. I have tried switching out guitar cables. No difference. I updated the driver for the sound card. No difference. I suspect that the cords to the sound card may be picking up electrical noise from the nearby power strip.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I am on a short deadline, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Members

Do you use a power conditoner....a good one?

I don't. If that were an issue, would it have only just shown up in the last couple of days? I've never used one before and I have not had any problems.

Thanks for your help!

• Members

well there could be electrical interference, or many other issues. Have you bought any new appliances, did you turn the AC on?

The system I am working on belongs to a friend. I believe he put a new motherboard in the system, so that could be the source of electrical interference. I will have to check with him.

• Members

Hello, all!

For the past two days, there has been a lot of static/noise appearing in my guitar and bass recordings. When I recorded on this song using the same setup about two weeks ago, there were no issues. The noise does not appear in the recording right away. I can usually record a few measures before it begins to show up, but it is not consistent in the exact length.

I am using Sonar Producer Edition 6 on a computer with a quad core processor, 4 GB RAM, and an M-Audio Delta 1010LT. The system is running Windows Vista.

I have tried both recording through my hardware mixer and recording directly into the sound card. No difference. I have tried switching out guitar cables. No difference. I updated the driver for the sound card. No difference. I suspect that the cords to the sound card may be picking up electrical noise from the nearby power strip.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I am on a short deadline, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Isn't Vista kinda infamous for not playing well with recording software(s)? I know you said you updated the drivers, and the PC sure seems to have what it takes under the hood. Is the sound card native to the PC, or is it a PCI-based thing?

This doesn't sound like electrical stuff to me.

Frank

• Members

There are many possible thing that could be the problem, I am just trying to eliminate some possibilities so that we can find the source.

Sure, no question...not second guessing at all. Vista's notorious reputation was just the first thing that came to mind.

Frank

• Members

Sure, no question...not second guessing at all. Vista's notorious reputation was just the first thing that came to mind.

Frank

Yeah, Vista is notorious for a lot of problems. . .not just audio based.

To answer your question, Frank, the sound card is PCI based.

• Members

There are many possible thing that could be the problem, I am just trying to eliminate some possibilities so that we can find the source.

Agreed. This is going to be a lot of trial and error. Keep the ideas coming!

Thanks, guys!

• Members

Yeah, Vista is notorious for a lot of problems. . .not just audio based.

To answer your question, Frank, the sound card is PCI based.

Have you researched to see if there are any known issues between Vista and that sound card? I'm not a computer expert my any means, but I do seem to remember that Vista had a hard time dealing with PCI based audio/video components. Maybe a true PC expert will chime in and put me to shame.

Frank

• Members

Have you researched to see if there are any known issues between Vista and that sound card? I'm not a computer expert my any means, but I do seem to remember that Vista had a hard time dealing with PCI based audio/video components. Maybe a true PC expert will chime in and put me to shame.

Frank

I have. I haven't found anything regarding this issue and I work in IT. That doesn't mean that Vista and/or the sound card isn't the problem though.

• Members

Frank

No problem, I did not take it as second guessing, the more areas we address the better.

Since multiple instruments were used with the same results that is likley not the issue.

Since different input sources were used that is likley not the issue.

Try plugging in an amp into the same outlet....does it make noise (compared to another outlet)?

If there is no change my next step would be a computer issue.

• Members

Since different input sources were used that is likley not the issue.

Try plugging in an amp into the same outlet....does it make noise (compared to another outlet)?

If there is no change my next step would be a computer issue.

We moved the entire setup to a different outlet. Additionally, all components (computer, mixer, monitors) are now plugged into a UPS system which I believe is also a power conditioner. After all this, we're still having issues.

I have tried every solution I can find regarding M-Audio and Sonar. No difference.

I found out from my friend last night that in addition to the new motherboard, there is also a new processor and fan installed in the computer.

As the static mostly seems to come in further in the recording, we think it may be a result of the computer fan speeding up to handle the increased processing power. We're going to see if we can adjust the fan speed tonight.

Keep the suggestions coming! Thanks!

• Members

I believe it to be a power issue as well. Isolate gear to different outlets on different circuits. Somethings just don't work well together. For instance if my guitar amp and keyboards are plugged on the same circuit, then it sounds like a dang vacuum cleaner in my amp.

A power conditioner won't fix this unless it performs some form of isolation. Chances are you don't have a $1300+ power conditioner lying around.

Archived