My first control surface: Presonus Faderport

144dB

• Members

Hey all,

I've wanted a control surface for a long time, and I finally pulled the trigger on a Presonus Faderport (the single, not the new "8"). I looked at the Faderport 8, but the lack of channel-specific pan pots was a deal breaker for me.

I like it a lot, and it makes mixing a lot more fun and intuitive. I wish it had a second pan pot, as Cubase has a dual panner for stereo channels, and there is no way to control both sides of the channel with the single pan pot control. I also wish you could shift-click or control-click multiple channels with the mouse and control them as a single fader (without linking them), but that doesn't work with Cubase 6.5. I also wish the pan pot was a bit more coarse (or I wish it had a sensitivity setting), as it's very fine out of the box. Generally if I'm sweeping the panning, I'm doing it in a pretty drastic fashion and it takes a lot of turns with the Faderport to cover the full L/R spectrum.

But overall it's a great product and I recommend it. I think there is room in their product lineup for a Faderport "Pro", and I'd love to see a second pan pot (maybe with LED crowns), and an LCD scribble strip perhaps. Fun stuff...

• Members

Man... As unlikely as it is that a manufacturer would actually follow this advice, it would oh so helpful to have a second pan pot for stereo channels. They are a reality in today's world, and at least in my DAW (Cubase), the panning control becomes useless once a stereo channel comes into focus. A second pan pot would solve that problem.

Archived