Priceline.com Strategy - Kind of Off Topic

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

and kind of on topic, since musicians are sometimes nomads and almost always tightwads. So I figure there must be some of you out there have been using Priceline to get good prices on hotel rooms and have been doing it enough to find a strategy that works more often than not.

Say I want to get a 2-1/2 or 3 star room in New York City for $85 (about 1/3 of the rack rate). Assume that it's not prime event or vacation time. Should I:

• Members

You should put in a bid well in advance to try and secure a room, and if it doesn't work and your search results come up negative, you've lost nothing. Then try again later.

I got a $65 dollar room in Monterey, CA - in the Hyatt - about 3-4 days in advance. It's normally a $200+ room. That's the only time I've ever used Priceline.com.

• Members
and kind of on topic, since musicians are sometimes nomads and almost always tightwads. So I figure there must be some of you out there have been using Priceline to get good prices on hotel rooms and have been doing it enough to find a strategy that works more often than not.

Say I want to get a 2-1/2 or 3 star room in New York City for $85 (about 1/3 of the rack rate). Assume that it's not prime event or vacation time. Should I:

Use Priceline Half Price. I did that and got a 3 Star room in Austin in the better part for $50. This was on the weekend also.

• CMS Author

Use Priceline Half Price. I did that and got a 3 Star room in Austin in the better part for $50.

I'm afraid I didn't see that option on the Priceline web site. Is it a different web page than priceline.com?

I see "hotel deals up to 50% off" which are all too expensive, and I see "name your own price" but not a "half price." But that's academic. For half price at anyplace I'd want to stay in NYC, I'd just as soon take a train home the same night and sleep at home.

• Members

I'm afraid I didn't see that option on the Priceline web site. Is it a different web page than priceline.com?

I see "hotel deals up to 50% off" which are all too expensive, and I see "name your own price" but not a "half price." But that's academic. For half price at anyplace I'd want to stay in NYC, I'd just as soon take a train home the same night and sleep at home.

Yea, I guess it's the name your own price. I think that's the one I did and got the room for $50.

Archived