Songs recorded in the early to mid-80s on analogue 4-track

Mark L

• Members

I'm loving your songs. Great structural concepts, great lyrics that say something. You TOTALLY understand the concept of a "hook"... an art that's almost lost. I can hear you subtly channeling the Beatles, Bowie, early Bee Gees, the Manfreds, Mott The Hoople, T.Rex, Donovan, and doing it in such a tasteful way... "We Can Fly" shows that you can play that goddam guitar really well... a great solo.

Many of us here have written that one of the most perfect singles ever made is "Cruel To Be Kind" by Nick Lowe. You have that same ability that British songwriters seem to be blessed with-- to write a perfect, crackerjack, three-minute hit single. [i'm amazed at how modest you are. But then I know how you British are, in that understated way.. ;) ]

Your arrangements are lean 'n' mean. I could hear them fleshed out a bit with some more arrangement elements like backup vocals, real strings, some counterpoint elements. I would LU-U-URVE to sing backup for you on these songs.... singing a Beatlesque harmony, or in octaves the way Bowie and Squeeze used to do....

You write that you can't sing in tune, yet I very much like how you sing, your timbre. You could even bring your vocals right to the front of your mix and it'd sound great.

I love the O.J. Song. SO many British artistes-- who later went on to do all manner of other things-- started out by writing in that skiffle idiom. It's almost a required rite-of-passage for any British songwriter.

Do you ever play down in London? The DJ's on LBC RADIO LONDON 93.7 FM are always debuting the material of young or new or "undiscovered" artistes and interviewing them live. Not sure how "The Bog Seat Blues" would go over, though.... HRH ERII would not be amyoooz'd. ;)

• Members

Your arrangements are lean 'n' mean. I could hear them fleshed out a bit with some more arrangement elements like backup vocals, real strings, some counterpoint elements. I would LU-U-URVE to sing backup for you on these songs.... singing a Beatlesque harmony, or in octaves the way Bowie and Squeeze used to do....

You write that you can't sing in tune, yet I very much like how you sing, your timbre. You could even bring your vocals right to the front of your mix and it'd sound great.

I love the O.J. Song. SO many British artistes-- who later went on to do all manner of other things-- started out by writing in that skiffle idiom. It's almost a required rite-of-passage for any British songwriter.

Do you ever play down in London? The DJ's on LBC RADIO LONDON 93.7 FM are always debuting the material of young or new or "undiscovered" artistes and interviewing them live. Not sure how "The Bog Seat Blues" would go over, though.... HRH ERII would not be amyoooz'd.
;)

Waaw! I am completely and utterly flattered

You are too kind, sir :)

I don't do gigs - I'm painfully shy :o

I'd like to collaborate with you (or anyone else for that matter) on a song or two. Trouble is, I'm ignorant when it comes to doing music on computers. I nearly did a collab with a guy on Open Jam, but because of my lack of knowledge it didn't come to anything :(

But thanks again! :thu:

Archived