Some had declared the death of the netbook a year or two ago, but they are still around.
And why am I interested in a netbook?
1. I am looking for a fairly inexpensive back-up for my photographs when I am traveling, and photo back-up devices are absurdly expensive. Later this year, I will be traveling to the remote Himalayas in India, and will often not have access to computers or other stuff, so something like this would be really great.
2. I can have 320G HD, much of which I can use for storage. A tablet typically does not have enough storage for my needs.
3. I can check email and look up stuff, unlike a photo back-up device, when closer to civilization. While India has a lot of internet cafes, wifi, etc., most of the regions I'll be in are rather remote, and chances are I will not have much access to this.
4. I can watch movies on the plane
5. I can use photo software and categorize and label stuff
What I'd like to find is something that is small, definitely no larger than 10", and even smaller would be be great, and something that is lightweight and has long battery life. If you happen to know of such a thing, please lay it on me. Or if you can think of an alternative that doesn't cost over US$300-350, let me know.
This is what I've found so far: