weezer
    pearl jam
    rage against the machine
    the smashing pumpkins
    green day
    the clash

radiohead doesn't showcase the drums at all, so who knows

weezer, blah, can't stand geek rockers

David Abbruzzese of pearl jam is a great drummer, adds a lot to pearl jam's music without being over the top. Lots of original fills and beats. Matt Cameron (their new drummer from soundgarden) is also an amazing drummer.

Rage's rhythm section is real tight. The drummer doesn't do anything fancy, but he does play for the music very well. Lots of feel.

Jimmy Chamberlin is a great drummer, so is kenny aronoff (spelling?). I personally thought chamberlin's style fit the music better, he had a huge sound, very powerful and energetic. great for that genre of music.

Greenday? Punk music? Blah, who can't play punk music?

I'm not really a clash fan so i don't know.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rage Bass Dude
      Don't flame !

radiohead
      weezer
      pearl jam
      rage against the machine
      the smashing pumpkins
      green day
      the clash
      Except for Weezer, I've liked them all at some point in their carreers by different degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Rage Bass Dude
        Don't flame !

radiohead
        weezer
        pearl jam
        rage against the machine
        the smashing pumpkins
        green day
        the clash

Radiohead: in my opinion, the single most overrated band ever. They just make my ears hurt. Their drummer from what I have seen stays in the background keeping it simple, but that means nothing.

Weezer/Pearl Jam/Clash: I don't know enough about or by them to make a good judgement. I wish Pearl Jam had left "Last Kiss" alone though. They just made it worse.

Rage Against the Machine: I really like the band, esp. Morello but he's not the object here. The drummer has a lot of groove and power in my estimation. I like him and them a lot.

Smashing Pumpkins: I highly dislike the band (Billy Corgan's voice... *shudder*). However, I love Chamberlain and Aronoff (don't know if they've had another drummer). Kenny Aronoff is one of my heroes.

Green Day: I do not like the band much except for a few songs. I hate their drummer simply because he feels it necessary to burn his equipment every show. That, to me, means he is a moron.

Wade

Comment

radiohead
          Kindof a lame band, they use too many programmed beats for me
          weezer
          The drums are solid, but boring
          pearl jam
          Matt Cameron is probably the best drummer to come out of the whole "grunge" scene
          rage against the machine
          I've always liked hip-hop beats on live kits (ala The Roots)
          the smashing pumpkins
          Chmberlain (sp?) was great, really inspired me to take up drums
          green day
          I kindof like Green Day, but I've always hated the drums. hh 8th notes dont work in fast punk music
          the clash
          Probably the greatest band ever. They did so many different styles, their drummer had to have some talent.

Comment

Here's not only an opinionated response, but for a change, some form of detail to support it:
            (for sake of keeping the response somewhat credible, I'm only addressing those musicians with whom I am most familiar.)

radiohead
            Radiohead's drummer, Phil Selway is a fairly accomplished drummer, mainly because of his ability to play along well with loops and programmed drum tracks. Also, something that seems to be a rarity, he can actually read music quite well. For proof, check out some of the stuff he did with musicals before he joined the band.

weezer
            Ok, Pat Wilson would in my opinion be simply an adequate drummer. He occasionally shows some style in fills but he generally tends to follow the KISS principal... somewhat too much at times. This alone isn

Comment

I'll talk about the Clash since no one has really mentioned them yet. The first drummer, Terry Chimes, was an adequate punk drummer that fit in well with the rawness of the first album (my fave from the Clash). The second drummer, Topper Headon, was pretty good and did some interesting stuff on that album. Most of the songs on London Calling are shuffle beats or in 3/4 time...it's a good album to practice to if you are working on those feels.
              Modern Drunkard Magazine
              Slim Cessna's Auto Club

Listen to Pine Box
              Listen to Munly

"There ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk" -Tom Waits

Comment

more thoughts please!!

Comment

Chris Cornell is probably the best drummer to come out of the whole "grunge" scene

Really?

The best drummer Pearl Jam has had was Matt Chamberlain, who filled in when Dave left. Matt used to be the drummer for the Saturday Night Live band and is also the drummer on both Fiona Apple albums, which contain some excellent drumming.

Comment

ok being vauge doesnt work here.... Chris Cornell doesnt play drums, he sings! he sang for soundgarden which coinsidentally is the band matt cameron played drums for first.

he also plays guitar, but then again, who doesnt these days?

Comment

radiohead: don't listen to radiohead
                      weezer: i hate him, very redundant
                      pearl jam: haven't heard much, but i like what i've heard
                      smashing pumpkins: i love that guy, the drum part on "tonight tonight" fits perfectly (in my opinion)
                      green day: solid, but kind of boring; there are worse
                      the clash: who's the clash?

Comment

Originally posted by ekim_drum
                        the clash: who's the clash?

Please buy their live album "From Here To Eternity"

Comment

Radiohead:
                          I love Radiohead, because they have an unconventional approach to their song formulas. Although their drumming isn't very enthralling, it has a beat that drives the band, which is heard (I was about to say "see" instead of "heard" but that's a whole other issue) in Idioteque, off of Kid A. He knows how to keep adequate time, while everything is getting louder, he knows how to keep the time steady instead of speeding up like other drummers do.

Weezer:
                          I haven't heard much of weezer, because they really have no gained my interest. From what I can gain, their drums are mundane and uninteresting, because it's the standard: 4/4 down beat stuff.

Pearl Jam:
                          I suppose their drummer was good for the music he was playing, he never did anything creative, he was just a good time keeper. As for good main stream drummers for the 90's; Dave Grohl was an awesome dynamical drummer. The Guns n' Roses drummer knew how to impliment rudiments with kit drummer (which I love to do).

Rage Against the Machine:
                          He knows how to groove and man does he groove well. Although his drum beats have little variation, he drives the songs along. He doesn't have to be over zealous because the bass is doing most of the "ear candy".

Smashing Pumpkins:
                          Never really listened to them much, but from what I have heard he was a very good drummer.

Green Day:
                          ...Um...Nah
                          I have "the ropes"

Comment

Originally posted by limelightyyz
                            ok being vauge doesnt work here.... Chris Cornell doesnt play drums, he sings! he sang for soundgarden which coinsidentally is the band matt cameron played drums for first.

he also plays guitar, but then again, who doesnt these days?

Chris Cornell was a drummer before singing in Soundgarden. That explains why his songs have a very rhythmic sense. He even used to play drums in his demo songs (for example, the first ones he wrote for the Temple of the Dog album).
                            my band: www.grimanet.com

Comment

You're right that he did start playing drums, but he was never anything incredibly special. He also gave up drums as soon as the band started to take off so he could focus more on his singing; thus since singing is his first priority, I think its safe to say he's a singer not really a drummer.

Comment

Working...
                              X