Drum sample (clip)

jenksdrummer

• Members

I'm at it again, after changing my room up, and reloading my computer, I'm out to get a decent sound.

So, I have a pair of Sterling Audio ST31 Condensor mics ($99.00ea @ GC), an Audix D6 ($150 ebay NIB). Panned 40% L/R for the condensor mics, using a modified version of the "recorderman" technique. Audix is buried in the hole of my bass drum - honestly, it's the best sound I've gotten out of it yet ;)

Guitar is an Epiphone LP, swapped the electronics in it, dead-nasty strings. Amp is a JVM410H, into an Avatar 4x12 "bogner" cab, 4xG12H-30 speakers. Mics on guitar is a Sm57 and an E609, single track, but both running.

Thoughts on sound?

One thing I did after I recorded this clip, was bring back the back/over-the-shoulder mic a bit as it was too strong compared to the other mic.

Anyhow, this is my first run of guitar and drums since setting everything up again...

FWIW, I recorded guitar first, then drums...

• Members

I thought things sounded pretty good, sound seemed very balanced. I'd love to be able to set up some mics and get some good drum sounds, if for nothing else than to listen back to some of the stuff I practice to see how it really sounds compared with what I think I'm hearing. I thought everything sounded pretty clear though, so I personally don't know what else you could ask for, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here a little better versed on recording than myself.

• Members

guitar sounds alright, but pretty bland. Pan the mics hard left and right, or better yet, do one take with one mic on the left channel, then another take with the other mic on the right channel.

Drums sound good, I'd cut the kick drum EQ a bit at around 1k and boost the lows a tad. I just bought some e604's for my toms, and went ahead and mic'd up my whole kit. Loving the sounds I'm getting, and your track inspired me to actually get to recording something.

• Members

guitar sounds alright, but pretty bland. Pan the mics hard left and right, or better yet, do one take with one mic on the left channel, then another take with the other mic on the right channel.

Drums sound good, I'd cut the kick drum EQ a bit at around 1k and boost the lows a tad. I just bought some e604's for my toms, and went ahead and mic'd up my whole kit. Loving the sounds I'm getting, and your track inspired me to actually get to recording something.

Guitar was me just screwing around, I had a riff I liked and played it a half dozen times, then moved on to playing something else.

By the time I was done screwing around, I had retuned my guitar a number of different ways, and wasn't going to fight to get it back where it was to record a second pair of tracks, which I normally do a pair of tracks, using a pair of mics per track.

Let me know on those E604's - I may end up getting a 3-pack plus 1 for my toms, but then I gotta fogure out how I can get 8 mics into the delta's 4-channels...maybe end up going with a Firepod (or two) in the end anyway...

But, if the E604's sound good with zero work, all the better.

As is, my overheads, I'm boosting @ 220hz (and lower) x 3db, and 2200Hz (and higher) x 3db. Bass drum has no EQ. Compression exists on the overheads as a pair, and the bass drum, and as a mix (so 3 compression effects). Guitar has a rolloff, 100hz (and lower) -10db, and a bit of a treble boost.

Reverb added to master mix.

• Members

Let me know on those E604's - I may end up getting a 3-pack plus 1 for my toms, but then I gotta fogure out how I can get 8 mics into the delta's 4-channels...maybe end up going with a Firepod (or two) in the end anyway...

Here's something I did the other day... there's maybe a 2dB boost on the highs (6k i think my mixer has the highs centered at) and a 2dB cut at 1k for the toms.

3x e604's for the toms

ATM650 on the snare (+3dB at 2k)

D6 on the kick (-3 at 1k, +3 at 60 Hz)

2x MXL604's for overheads (XY panned left and right 50%, cut the lows right out)

This straight out of my mixer into my laptop's sound card... I think my laptop's sound card driver is a piece of {censored}, there's some latency issues (you can hear skips on the track). I got my m-audio mobilepre working on this laptop so I'll try that sometime, and add a hi-hat mic. Hopefully with the external card it tracks fine.

• Members

Here's something
I did the other day... there's maybe a 2dB boost on the highs (6k i think my mixer has the highs centered at) and a 2dB cut at 1k for the toms.

3x e604's for the toms

ATM650 on the snare (+3dB at 2k)

D6 on the kick (-3 at 1k, +3 at 60 Hz)

2x MXL604's for overheads (XY panned left and right 50%, cut the lows right out)

This straight out of my mixer into my laptop's sound card... I think my laptop's sound card driver is a piece of {censored}, there's some latency issues (you can hear skips on the track). I got my m-audio mobilepre working on this laptop so I'll try that sometime, and add a hi-hat mic. Hopefully with the external card it tracks fine.

What heads are on the toms? It'll help me get a better idea what they pick up. Sounds good ;)

• Members

Sounds pretty good. The kick drum sounds great (I love the Audix D6), and everything is nicely balanced. Do you have any compression on those ST31's? It might liven up the drums if you used just the right amount of it (not too overboard of course).

• Members

Sounds pretty good. The kick drum sounds great (I love the Audix D6), and everything is nicely balanced. Do you have any compression on those ST31's? It might liven up the drums if you used just the right amount of it (not
too
overboard of course).

Yeah, though I don't remember the exact settings.

Archived