Well, we were supposed to start Friday, but Thursday I either came down with the worst cold Ive had in ages, or the quickest bout of flu ever heard of. Anyway, almost 72 hours later (likely less than 16 of that awake), I have emerged ready to begin tracking drums for City's full-length.
We had talked about spending the money/time on tracking the kit in a great studio here in PDX where Nick (guitar/vox) does some freelance engineering; but due to schedules and the fact that my current kit just wouldnt do it justice, and the Mapex wont arrive until the end of next month likely, we decided to use the DM10 to record midi, and then use sound replacement based on samples of very similar shells. This saves us time, money, and MORE time. But I cant wait for future sessions where I will have the new acoustic kit to record with!
This is far from the first time I have used edrums for recording, but it is the first time I have used this particular module in a legit studio setup with high-end sample replacement. I will be sure to report how the DM10 delivers compared to the last time I had such a situation (c.2005 Roland TD-20 setup with onboard sounds only).