Can someone clear up some Ampeg terminology?

Detox

• Members

Hi all, I am looking around my neck of the woods for a used Ampeg SVT 410 HLF cab. I saw an ad for an "SVT 410 HLN" (not "HLF"). I e-mailed and asked if "HLN" was correct, and they replied that it is. I wasn't able to find a listing for it on the Ampeg site, the HC gear reviews, or elsewhere.

Is the HLN the same as the HLF, or different?

TIA

• Members

Originally posted by illidian

Ask for pictures.

My guess is it's an HLF with Speakon connectors (if they don't already), as there is HE and HEN with Neutrik Speakon connectors.

Pictures will clear this all up, however.

I'll let you guys know what they say.

• Members

From what I've read, they put the N on the end of the model numbers when they first started putting Neutrik Speakon connectors on their cabs. They later removed the N designation when they became standard. I've seen 410-HLN, 410-HEN, and 810-EN cabs in the past.

• Members

I know what svt stands for but what about all the different ampeg names for cabs and heads. Do they mean anything or do you just have to go to the ampeg website/catalog or a forum such as this to learn about the item of interest?

• Members

Originally posted by TCEDDIA

I know what svt stands for but what about all the different ampeg names for cabs and heads. Do they mean anything or do you just have to go to the ampeg website/catalog or a forum such as this to learn about the item of interest?

Probably a lot of people here and on the Ampeg forum could tell you the specifics. There's also quite a bit of info in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0793579511/qid=1116454223/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4240408-8231064?v=glance&s=books

• Members

Originally posted by venturawest

hmmm. sounds like the guy who sold me my authentic Polex watch.

"A sure proof of authenticity among vintage Rolex watches is the gradual disappearance of the rightmost leg of the "R" in the Rolex logo. This naturally occurring phenomenon is sure proof you have a 100% authentic vintage Rolex watch."

Archived