2003 American jazz bass question re: tone knob/control

mosshowl

• Members

Hope someone can provide some insight on this...

I've got a 2003 American jazz bass and the tone knob may as well be a switch. There's no perceptible difference until the knob is 4/5ths of the way up. Then there's a distinct shift in tone. Pretty much A/B.

Is this normal? (I have not had the opportunity to play other basses like mine to compare.) Either way, is it a pot issue? A pickup issue? It's kinda lame, I would like to have a more gradual range of tone options. How would I go about correcting this, if possible?

Thanks.

• Members

If this is an American Standard (passive), I would say that it is most likely a bad pot. When using the pickup volume pots, do they work in a linear way or suffer from the same problem?

If this has active electronics, I think Rev is on the right track.

• Members

Ah ok, thanks for the info guys.

They are passive pu's. There's no 'click' in the knob as far as I can tell. So it seems that even though it's not a no-load pot issue, a pot replacement is in order. I looked into linear-tapered pots, and like the sound of what they do. Will try one of those.

• Members

I guess I am confused. Is it an S-1 switch?

OK, now I'm confused as well.

Bear with me, normally I'm a guitarist and I'm still sort of learning my way around this bass, so I went back to it to confirm what's going on with it to answer the above question.

The bass does have the S-1 system. When it's in series mode, everything works properly (depressed S-1 knob is volume, middle knob is bypassed, and small knob is tone, with a nice gradual range). Correct, right?

But, when the bass is in parallel mode, both of the larger knobs have the issue described (neither of which I now think is even meant to be a tone control, they are just f'ed up in some way), and the small knob is the actual tone control, with a nice gradual tonal range. So, in series mode, there is NO volume control! I never even noticed, as I tend to play with the volume full-on and turn the amp down when I want to set the bass down or whatever.

So it's definitely faulty, and in a weirder and more involved way than I thought it was before, even though I now realize that both modes have a perfectly fine tone control.. (I bought it used).

Has anyone ever seen this? Sounds like a wiring issue, no? Or... I dunno.

• Members

It does sound like faulty wiring, but even with the S-1 switch Jazz bass wiring is pretty simple. The FAQ has a nice diagram courtesy of Jazz Ad:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?250926-Parallel-series-switch-mod-for-Jazz-Bass&daysprune=-1

You could completely replace everything if you so desired. For the S-1, you can use a push/pull pot.

Archived