Any Silvertone nuts? Can't id this bass...

Rothstaman

• Members

By the looks of the headstock its a newer Silvertone SSLB11. They are sold at places like Sams for around $99~125 along with an amp.

Not much to say beyond that. You can buy them used for around $50. Its a precision knockoff of course. I'd likely choose a Squire over a Silvertone myself.

Silvertone guitars and amps became popular back in the 60's. Sears used to be a mail order company and you'd get a new catalog every season and called it the "Wish Book". The fall/Christmas catalogs had a couple of pages of musical instruments. Back when I first played guitar, and electric with 1 pickup could be bought for $29, 2 pickup for $39 and 3 pickup for $49.

I wanted one of those guitars really bad when I was 13 and even tried to save up for one. Years later when I actually played one at a Flea Market, I understood why they sold so cheap. They were mostly toy guitars parents bought kids at Christmas. Because they were gifts from parents, the kids wound up keeping them for decades. Now Ebay is loaded with them. They don't get better with age either.

Silvertone did make a few decent models. I believe Dan Electro made a bunch of their stuff that was rebranded too. The old Silvertone Twin Tube amps were as good as many Fender twins back in the day.

If you're looking for a kick around bass you're not worried about bashing around or you're a beginner whose just learning how to play I suppose its good enough to learn on. Not allot of value for the money however. Like I said they sell for around $100 new and you can devalue its resale by a good 50% the day you buy it. If you get $50 for a used one I'd take the money and run. There's such a glut of gear on the market today. Basses don't sell as well or as quickly as Regular guitars do because there aren't as many bass players.

Heres the headstock.

its 320301238052-4.jpg

This is what it looks like with both knobs. They have a couple of different versions but they are all very similar.

82-924-013-02.jpg

Archived