Pedalboard for doubling?

Pine Apple Slim

• Members

Just trying to make do with what I got, instead of going and buying a Tonebone or something. It seems to work ok in the music room at home. Gotta try it out at band volume to make sure its acceptable, then build a small pedalboard to keep it all tidy. The upright's bridge Fishman piezo goes to the PADI, then to a ch on the little passive mixer, and the upright's mag neck pickup goes strait to another mixer ch. Then the mixer goes to the AB box. The electric bass plugs straight into the AB, then to amp.

image.jpg2_zps8jq4nhjt.jpg

• Members
Just trying to make do with what I got, instead of going and buying a Tonebone or something. It seems to work ok in the music room at home. Gotta try it out at band volume to make sure its acceptable, then build a small pedalboard to keep it all tidy. The upright's bridge Fishman piezo goes to the PADI, then to a ch on the little passive mixer, and the upright's mag neck pickup goes strait to another mixer ch. Then the mixer goes to the AB box. The electric bass plugs straight into the AB, then to amp.

image.jpg2_zps8jq4nhjt.jpg

I misinterpreted your title and thought you were using an echo loop.

That seems like it would work. What I'd likely do is change your cable from the bass. Instead of using two cables I'd use a to a mic cord and wire it for stereo jack at the guitar end and dual 1/4" at the other end (or both ends) This way you're only dealing with a single cable. The dual core wire will handle the Piezo and Magnetic pickup. The ground would be common to both.

Having an active mixer might be a big improvement too. It will allow you to balance both signals so they match better. An inexpensive $25 should do the trick. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-Eurorack-MX602a-Mixer-/151590550959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234b803daf

• Members
Have a little Nady active mixer will try it. Was afraid it might color the sound of my mag pickup.

It might. You wont know till you try it. If anything its likely full frequency flat response so you will basically just get a boost with no coloration.

I have a Nady 8 channel I use for my drum mics. Nady actually uses some decent chips in that one. Hopefully their small unit wont add too much hiss. Just be sure to set the output at about 50% to begin with and keep the inputs lower then the main. If you run the inputs high and main out low it will likely distort. (this in fact can be used in fact to get a hot sound at low volume too)

Some of it may depend on impedance matching. Mixers often have either mic or line level, not instrument level. Set for mic the signals too hot and set for line its a tad too low. With a mini mixer that has a treble and bass control, you tweak the frequency response a little.

The Behringer I posted actually sound pretty musical and it works well at instrument level. I have a 12 channel version I've used when recording direct and can dial up some fairly decent bass tones. Its all experimentation though. Bass often sounds better with less to preserve fidelity. Using a biamp setup with either dual heads and cabs might be the ticket. The Piezo would likely sound good through a pair of 10's and a horn and the Mag pickup could be used for the bottom end through a 15" Just takes some creativity and perseverance to find those tones to sound best.

• Members

You were correct re the passive mixer. Uprights piezo way louder than the mag, and with no boost available it just didn't work.

But the Nady worked great w no dist or coloration. Was able to get a nice blend with the Master and the mag ch almost both wide open and the piezo on about 3-4.

Had the same prob with the electric tho thru the AB box. The Starfires mag pickup just woulnt get loud enough to match the uprights vol.

​So I wound up discarding the AB and going to the mixer w the electic also. Worked like a charm. Hate to loose the convienence of stomping on a button to change instr, but its not so hard to reach down and turn down the uprights channels when I set it aside.

d4f32d59-8191-405c-bcee-1575ce34e244_zpsshpifzlr.jpg

• Members

Very good. You can probably modify the A/B box to switch pickups easily enough, Its got two switches. You'd only need to drill a hole for a 4th jack. Then you would need to wire the switches to pass each input independently or short the input like a volume control does. The rewiring wouldn't be very hard at all. I can even draw you up a schematic. The most you'll need to scrounge up is another 1/4" jack.

You could also build one easily enough. four 1/4" jacks, two SPST switches and a metal box. You can throw the thing together in about a half hours work once you have the holes drilled. You really don't need LED's. You would know from the sound what's on or off.

With the box you can select either input independently, or select both on or both off and it would be placed between the instrument and miver.

• Members

My PV 4 ch would do the trick handily. Been using it to mix drums for the band tho.

To switch inst all I'd need to do is mute the uprights chs when I picked up the electric.

ch mutes would work a a switch w no need to touch the faders.

I'll try it and if it sounds good I may relegate the Nady to the drummer. He'd have to use XLR to 1/4 adapters on his mics tho.

• Members
I see what you mean about building a box. To run it before the mixer I'd need 2 inputs for the upright and one for the BG. An AB & C box with a switch to choose either AB (upright) or C (BG), with 3 outputs going to The mixer. 2 chs to blend A & B and one ch for C.

No that's actually too complex. You only need two sets of jacks and two switches. The inputs connect directly to the output Then you use a switch on each one of these direct feeds to short the hot wire to ground. That's it. Nothing fancy. Jack in tip >Jack out Tip. The box acts as the sleeve connection you can add the ground between the two jacks as an electrical backup.

Then connect the center leg of a switch to the hot wire and the outside leg to the ground. When you snap the switch its shorts the signal to ground.

Do this same thing for both sets of jacks. If you place the switches close enough together you can press both switches at the same time. This will let you switch from one pickup to the other with a single foot tap. Or you can operate either one independently. With the two switches you essentially have a 4 way combination. A on, B on, A+B on A+B off.

Hot Mag> Jack A tip in ------------------------^------------------------Jack A tip out to Mixer

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . switch

Ground > Jack sleeve A in--------------------v------------------------Jack sleeve A out

__________________________________________________ __________________

Hot Piezo > Jack B tip in ----------------------^------------------------Jack B tip out To Mixer (or preamp 1st)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . switch

Ground > Jack sleeve B in--------------------v------------------------Jack sleeve B out

Archived