Need info on my Harmony Amp! Can't find any info on it!

JepsonC

• Members

So I got this from a friend for my husband, and can't find a single trace of it online. It's like it never existed. I think, from the info I have gathered, that it is a Harmony 7003. But I really have no idea. What I do know? It has 4 inputs, its 120vac, 60hz, 60w, tube amp head (piggy back?), and has two 36" or so original speakers. There are zero markings on the speakers. I believe that it was made with or close to the Harmony 7074 practice amp because if the visual similarities of the two. I cannot find any other Harmony amps that even remotely resemble mine. Any Information you can give me about my Harmony Amp would be great. Does anyone know what it's worth? It works, one speaker is just starting to go. Thank you!

bbdde9e5a1077de6405ca583a332fab2.thumb.jpg.9ea4a37856a981b5b8ff9574907bde75.jpg

9f5ffe7dc4c9bc61a7549aa2560eed2c.thumb.jpg.1f1090221d3025eab95ea00b5769caed.jpg

abbcadece6828e1eaf46d4eb195bb488.thumb.jpg.1b64671dc042b7681e661065aabe64c8.jpg

• Members

That's a 1960's PA amp. (not a guitar amp). Sears owned Harmony and a company called Sound Projects Company made all the harmony amps for Sears. They also sold under the name of Lectrolab.

Sears sold those cheap PA's in they're mail order catalog. They had a fall catalog which contained the Christmas gift/toy section. You'd have a couple of pages that contained all the musical instruments and amplifiers like this. They called it the Wish Book because kids like me who grew up in the 60's would look through that catalog months before Christmas and wish we could have many of the items in there for Christmas.

That PA was shown with a mic and stand along with all the other gear and given a number or letter and you'd reference the description of it and the prices.

If you want to find more info on the PA you'll have to find old copies of the Sears manuals. Not sure if Sears has posted them on line. The catalogs were often thousands of pages long. Sears, Montgomery ward were the companies rural America bought most of they're goods. People in cites could visit stores like macys but out in the subburbs there were no malls yet. You'd be lucky if your town was big enough to have a department store like Grants or later Bradlees. Kmart, Target, and Walmarts didn't come till much later. Most small towns were lucky to have a small general store.

Anyway that's a simple PA which used high impedance mics. It has two button type transistors so its likely 50 watts or less. Likely less because pushing those transistors to a full 50W would have blown those transistors out 50 years ago so its likely 25~35W.

Not much else you need to know other than they were bought by parents as gifts for kids and considered to be beginners gear. Most wound up in land fills within a year or two tops. Young kids who had musical talent upgraded to better gear. Most of the cheap gear like this wound up in closets, basements and attics or land fills as the kids beat the crap out of it or it failed to function. I used to sell at flea markets during the late 70's to earn gas money.

You'd see a gazillion of these low quality amps being sold as people cleaned out they're garages and attics. I used to buy cheap, repair it and make a few bucks reselling it. None of it was worth much money. I'm surprised that one has survived as long as it has. That unit will be worth more as a collectors piece then a functional piece of gear. You still see allot of amps around but an actual PA with its cabs is quite rare. The cabs are what go first. A but of moisture from sitting in a basement or garage and they split wide open.

Archived