What gear did Page use on the Danmarks Radio (zep dvd)?

M_E_A_T_B_A_L_L

• Members

Just finished watching the Led Zeppelin DVD and was curious what gear Jimmy Page was using on the Danmarks Radio (1969) section of the 1st DVD.

He was obviously a telecaster and a wah pedal, but what amp was being used? There didn't seem to be a name on it. Secondly, was he using any sort of boosts or was the gain coming straight from the amp? (I feel REALLY sorry for those kids sitting on the pillows 2 feet from his cab, they're probably deaf :eek: )

Anyrate, any information on this would be appreciated.

Also, what speakers would he be using in his cabs?

Thanks,

Meaty

• Members

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

Tele, Vox Wah, Solasound Tonebender MKII, Echoplex and 100 watt Marshall Super Lead was his typical set up in those days. All the gain was from his MKII Fuzz.

I don't think those amps are Marshalls - he had them by the time of Zep II. There's a story in Richard Cole's 'Stairway to Heaven' about Page selling off some amp and swapping the speakers out before he did it...

;)

Led Wallet! :)

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

They look like Marshalls to me. And even JPJ looks like he's using Marshalls as well.

Thats my favorite of that DVD. They look like kids!

You sure you are looking at the Denmark Radio show? They for sure aren't Marshalls. Maybe I am thinking of the wrong part of that DVD. I am thinking of the one where there are those kids sitting right in front of them. Aren't they like black with some red on them.

• 13 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

Almost sure these are Sound City amps. I'm not sure of the model but Townsend used a model called L100 in 67 and 68. But it's almost a moot point. The amps could have been any Fender copy tube amp from the time. The true source of the incredible sonic wall coming from JP during this performance comes from his fuzz pedal and his masterful use of the guitar volume control to dial in distorted levels. Old hat now but at the time it was groundbreaking. And the recording engineers did a great job getting this on tape also.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Hard to tell from the video.  Could be a few things.  At least Page is smart enough not to stand in front of it.  It looks like Bonham is hitting pretty hard.  He's probably got the amp up a good bit.  Love this stuff.  Had to learn it after the first time I heard communication breakdown.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The amp is an Arbiter "Power One Hundred" head.  Same as the Sound City sc105 that turned into the Sound City L100 when they went into full production.   These really early Arbiter heads have piping that goes all the way around the box lengthwise on the front and rear of the head.....you can see it in the beginning of the video before they play.  Marshall and Hiwatt had short strips of piping near the ends of the head that run front to back.

Archived