Made the mistake of playing a D-28 tonight

rockafeller

• Members

And unfortunately for my bank account I LOVED it. I really really wanted to stay in the low $1000s range tops, but I just can't believe this guitar. I was playing all these Martins, Taylors, Tacomas, and Gibsons and one was either too bright, too muddy, too high action, too low action, too hollow sounding, not deep enough, not strong enough... but the damn $2000 Martin D-28 was hiding way up high on a hook. The sales dude walks in and says here try this one. And damnit if it wasnt just perfect. Now I gotta figure out if I can afford this thing. Curse that sales dude.

• Members

Cool. Yeah, I hate that when you find an instrument that makes you not able to go back and play what you originally wanted. Unfortunately for me (or maybe fortunately), I've never had the money or the ability to get the money to buy the more expensive axe.

D-28's are nice. The last one I played just felt bad, though, but it was at GC, whichi in and of itself seems to make guitars go dead. I've always enjoyed a good Martin, though.

Personally, I think I like "bright" sounding guitars best. Tacomas are sweet to my ear, and I love a Larrivee with a set of Elixirs. The best Martin I've ever played was a '60's model with Elixirs. Maybe I just like Elixirs. Maybe I'm just young :D

• Members

Regardless of what anyone else says, Martin still knows how to make one hell of a guitar.

It sounds like you found your holy grail of dreadnoughts. I found mine when I played a Tacoma DM-18. We all hear different things in different guitars.

Do yourself a favor, though. Go back in a few days and try all of those guitars over again, with a fresh set of strings on 'em all if possible (if you're going to drop the cash, you deserve it). See if your ears tell you the same thing. I'm not saying they won't, but it's always worth it to be thorough. If nothing else, you'll fall even deeper in love with that Martin. :)

• Members

rockafeller,
If I can offer a word of advice.....list on a Martin D-28 is $2469 according to the Martin website. You can get Martins for 40% off list most anywhere. That would be $1482 if I've done the math right. You should check with Nathan (riffdaddy) at E.M. Shorts on his price. I know it's better to play the one you want to buy, but I've always found D-28s to be very consistant in qaulity and tone. Martin HAS made a few of them over the years:eek: . I love the D-28....a classic.
Hey, I just emailed Elderly for a price quote and their price was indeed $1482. Maybe Nathan can do even better than that for you.

BTW, with a name like rockafeller, you shouldn't have any problem buying an Olson!;):D

• Members

Rockafeller:

Once you start shopping guitars in that price range you can tell the manager you want to try out guitars 1,2,3,4,ect. You want them all freshly strung with whatever strings you like. And you want some privacy to evaluate them. They should accomodate you.

Joey

• Members

I finally picked up a D28 myself this year from Elderly Music. They had the best price I could find.

I've never picked up a new D28 that I haven't liked(except for one with old strings @ Guitar center once).

I'm pretty picky about tone and playability. I think the D28s sound full and play great. Quality control is excellent.

Mine came shipped to my door flawlessly for $1500. Also, I think the Martins hold there value very well, as do some of the other manufacturers like Gibson.

• Members
Originally posted by Megatron_69

I finally picked up a D28 myself this year from Elderly Music. They had the best price I could find.

I've never picked up a new D28 that I haven't liked(except for one with old strings @ Guitar center once).

I'm pretty picky about tone and playability. I think the D28s sound full and play great. Quality control is excellent.

Mine came shipped to my door flawlessly for $1500. Also, I think the Martins hold there value very well, as do some of the other manufacturers like Gibson.

Not trying to make this week Guitar (abuse) Center "bash" week........however, they have both a D28 & HD28 in my local store.......that do absolutely.....nothing for me.:( .......along with a very poorly kept Gibson J150 :(
I will agree with the overall "quality control" normally exhibited in Martin instruments. :)

• Members
Originally posted by SurrealMcCoy

Not trying to make this week Guitar (abuse) Center "bash" week........however, they have both a D28 & HD28 in my local store.......that do absolutely.....nothing for me.
:(
.......along with a very poorly kept Gibson J150
:(
I will agree with the overall "quality control" normally exhibited in Martin instruments.
:)

surreal,
Not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you SURE that it wasn't just the strings. I ragged my local shop about how crappy a D-18 in their shop due to old strings. They replaced them with nanos and it sounded like a totally different (sweet) guitar.

• Members
Originally posted by orsino

surreal,

Not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you SURE that it wasn't just the strings. I ragged my local shop about how crappy a D-18 in their shop due to old strings. They replaced them with nanos and it sounded like a totally different (sweet) guitar.

Hey orsino.......

You could be right about the strings......however; I try to keep that in mind when I'm listening and playing instruments in a store like GC.

But when I find a D35 or 15, 16 series guitar with comparible used strings that still "sings".......I make my "newbie" judgement call...:D

I should take your suggestion......and take another listen with better strings......:)

• Members
Originally posted by SurrealMcCoy

Hey orsino.......

You could be right about the strings......however; I try to keep that in mind when I'm listening and playing instruments in a store like GC.

But when I find a D35 or 15, 16 series guitar with comparible used strings that still "sings".......I make my "newbie" judgement call...
:D

I should take your suggestion......and take another listen with better strings......
:)

Yes, I'm wiser to that fact as well and try to take it into consideration, but I still wonder what I'm missing if the strings had been new. Although, I guess it wouldn't take long to get myself thrown out of the shop if I kept asking for new strings EVERY time I walk in there to check one out.

Archived