Garrison ID

lefort_1

• Members

First off, if you check my topics/posts, you'll see if loiter most often over in Effects. But I really play more acoustic than anything. So, my apologies for only showing up with a strange questions but:

Does anyone know how to 'date' a Garrison guitar?

Also, how to verify it's original sales price (or current value)?

I ask this for a friend over on a totally differnt set of forums.

He's up in Canada and has bumped into a 12-string Garrison that he likes, but he doesn't know if it's a Canadian-made or one of their more recent Chinese guitars.

Also, since the Gibson buyout, it appears to be REALLY difficult to find anything about Garrisons (there's no model number/serial number info on the Gibson site as far as I can Tell).

Anyway, his initial info was that it was a AG-300-12 twelvestring. I don't know if that is a complete model number, but that's what I can give you. Any help or thoughts you can offer would be appreciated.

• Members

All the AG series (200 thru 700) were made in China. I had one of the AG's (700) for awhile and liked it. It now lives with my son. To my knowlege no way to determine when that particular guitar was made. Garrison dated their guitars by using the first two digits of the SN to indicate year - but I don't believe the Chinese one's did this. I might add there that the AG300 series is an all laminate guitar. Had to get an AG400 or up to get solid top. If he likes the way it plays and sounds, if the price is right he should go for it. Hope this helps.

• Members

All the AG series (200 thru 700) were made in China. I had one of the AG's (700) for awhile and liked it. It now lives with my son. To my knowlege no way to determine when that particular guitar was made. Garrison dated their guitars by using the first two digits of the SN to indicate year - but I don't believe the Chinese one's did this. I might add there that the AG300 series is an all laminate guitar. Had to get an AG400 or up to get solid top. If he likes the way it plays and sounds, if the price is right he should go for it. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, I got my brother an AG series.. brain fart...

Either way, if it plays well and sounds good, I'd say go for it. Opinions are like, well, you know what they are like...

Archived