Nerves effect the voice?

OxBlues

• Members

I recently formed my own Soul/Funk band with some good friends of mine.

But ive found at band practise my vocals are not as good as they are when i practise, say at home.

At home im quite relaxed and know that i will sing well. But at pracitse i have some self doubt, and nerves kick in and i can't sing properly, is it the nerves effect my voice?

Is there any tips you can give?

Thanks.

• Members

As they say in "Dune", fear is the mindkiller.

One way to get over it is to just keep doing it until it feels "normal" to sing in front of your bandmates, but that can take a while. Also, how that will translate to the stage in front of a crowd of strangers is a different story. :o

You probably didn't want to hear that. ;)

You can also look into mental relaxation exercises. There are known methods, such as meditation, etc, that can help put you in a calm frame of mind for rehearsals and performances.

There is also another direction if you can swing it: confidence.

Just keep telling yourself, "Hey, I'm good at this! I can knock this next song out, no problem!"

Put yourself in the mindframe that you are the singer, and you rock. :thu:

Mind over matter. :rawk:

• Members

SevenString is exactly right. I'm very often astonished that something so easy and soulful in solitary practice sounds so awkward and dull when played with the band. I experience this too with my guitar playing.

The only way out of this is to play publicly over and over again until it starts to feel comfortable. You never really lose the pre-performance anxiety, I find, but once you get some experience it tends to go away once the music starts.

But sometimes not. :facepalm::mad:

• Members

Thanks loads for the advice :)

Really appretiate it. I've sung on stage manya times, and have been fine. I find it easier doing it infront of strangers. Its just infront of my friends i get nervous. Hopefully your tips will help. Thanks you again.

Archived