MIDIMATE and EV5 (Exp. pedal): Why doesn't it work???

• Members

Hi friends!

I've just received a MIDIMATE.

It replaces the boss FC50 i was using 'till yesterday.

I have a boss EV5 expression pedal that works great with the FC50 and the ROCKTRON XPRESSION.

But with the MIDIMATE, the EV5 doesn't work properly: Used as a volume pedal, it goes down from 127 to 40 or so, and the numbers in the XPRESSION (when looking at the volume screen)and in the MIDIMATE start blinking at around the number 40 or 50.

So it goes from full volume to like 40 or 50.

Have you some info on this?

Isn't the EV5 compatible with the MIDIMATE?

Is the midimate failling? (That would be "cool" after 38 days waiting for it at the mail)

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

• Members

I haven't tried using an expression pedal with the midimate, and I'm at work right now so my memory is a bit sketchy on this one, but each patch might have an upper and lower level for the expression pedal. Check the controller assignment settings for that particular patch.

• Members

I'd say you still have to adjust some settings. I just got a midimate last week, but my expression pedal, preamp and effects units are different than yours so I cna not help to much.

Only thing I can say is, with the midimate out of the box, the expression pedal did work well either. It took me some tweaking to do it.

Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by Jaymeister

I haven't tried using an expression pedal with the midimate, and I'm at work right now so my memory is a bit sketchy on this one, but each patch might have an upper and lower level for the expression pedal. Check the controller assignment settings for that particular patch.

Hi!

Yes, the patchs have upper and lower level. And I've set them to 127 and "0". But the pedal only works in the first part of the run. In the last part, it just doen't do anything, and the level stays at around 40 or 50.

Thank you very much.

I've been searching the net about this, and I've found 2 people that say something interesting:

One of them says that the ev5 doesn't work well with every piece of gear.

The other one said that he tried the EV5 and the mIDIMATE and it didn't work. It looks like some kind of incompatibility.

• Members

Originally posted by prodrigu

I'd say you still have to adjust some settings. I just got a midimate last week, but my expression pedal, preamp and effects units are different than yours so I cna not help to much.

Only thing I can say is, with the midimate out of the box, the expression pedal did work well either. It took me some tweaking to do it.

Good luck.

I wish i had done something wrong. But I've tried again and again. Maybe I'm missing something. I'll try some more today.

What expression pedal are you using? I think I'll have to get another one. As I wrote in the previous post, it could be a problem of compatibility.

Thank you again.

• Members

Originally posted by Shai`tan

Why not get the HEX pedal from Rocktron? It HAS to work with the Midi Mate.

Hi Shai`tan!

Well... first of all I already have a EV5, so... It would be nice if I don't have to buy another one.

And, very important: No rocktron devices in shops here. So I need to know if the MIDIMATE is working OK before I buy and expression pedal by mail.

I've seen some expression pedals in shops around here. But I don't know if they'll work better than the EV5. And they are SO expensive: The ERNIE BALL volume pedals are at around 255

• Members

THANK YOU EVERYBODY.

I've emailed ROCKTRON and asked them the question.

They answered fast (as always).

This is what Jim says:

"The Midi Mate does not work with the EV5 the extra pot on the side makes it wired wrong. Any other expression pedal or regular volume pedal will work."

I think I should close the thread...

Or... maybe someone could tell me if I can "Bypass" the "Extra" pot. It doesn't look very difficult to do...

Anyway, THANK FOR ALL THE HELP Jaymaister, prodrigu and Shai`tan

• Members

Thank you!

I'll try to get a HEX.

BTW this afternoon I went to a shop and they had a new ALESIS pedal: It's a hard metal box with one expresion pedal and 2 metal switches.

It's supposed to be used as a exp. pedal and as a program up/down, or amp's channel switching.

I almost got it becouse it was just 30

• 3 years later...
  • Members

The EV-5 can work properly with the midimate. It just needs some easy soldering.

Open up the EV-5 by removing the six screws on the back of the EV-5.

Swap the red and white wire on the pot.

Put the thing back together.

That's all. Just remember to change it back before you sell it.

Archived