Brutal preamp?

a4ndrew

• Members

Originally posted by SteveVHT

I don't know who those bands are, but there are a few preamps that can get as heavy as heavy can be depending on your $$$$

Engl E570SE

VHT GP3

Voodoo Labs

and many modeling units...

Steve

Yeah, I'm looking for more SS type stuff. I hear the Pro Gap is pretty good.

• Members

Rocktron Prophesy

Pod Xt Pro

Both of these into a poweramp, are the heaviest and most quiet processors you can get for pounding, tight (or loose), percussive metal, the former one being the most defined, razor sharp, of the two..

The pre and post eq's of the Prophesy will get you into Metal Valhalla, if you know how to shape them

• Members

Originally posted by HERC

Rocktron Prophesy

Pod Xt Pro

Both of these into a poweramp, are the heaviest and most quiet processors you can get for pounding, tight (or loose), percussive metal, the former one being the most defined, razor sharp, of the two..

The pre and post eq's of the Prophesy will get you into Metal Valhalla, if you know how to shape them

Interesting, Can I get all the same tones of the Pod XT Pro through the Pod XT live?

• Members

Yes Sir....:cool:;)

Run the Xt Live into a poweramp and you'll get the exact same thing as you would with the pro

Turn off the cab sims and use the Eq and you'll nail any heavy amp sound and beyond, "in stereo"

You can even take two Pod Xt Pros, run a midi cable out of one, into the other Pods midi in and control them both with one controller.One will change the others channels, with Zero Latency

In one cabinet side you can run, lets say, a "5150" on bank 1a and on the other side you could run, lets say, a "Recto" on bank1a...Much like a Vetta but with a Tube Poweramp

• Members

Yes Sir....
:cool:;)
Run the Xt Live into a poweramp and you'll get the exact same thing as you would with the pro

Turn off the cab sims and use the Eq and you'll nail any heavy amp sound and beyond, "in stereo"

You can even take two Pod Xt Pros, run a midi cable out of one, into the others, midi in and control them both with one controller.

In one cabinet side you can run, lets say, a "5150" on bank 1a and on the other side you could run, lets say, a "Recto" on bank1a...Much like a Vetta but with a Tube Poweramp

Cool. How about other rocktron preamps? I know some of them have pre and post. I'm looking for that super devastating palm mute that just sounds like a baby getting its head smashed with a sledgehammer, if you want a visual reference, but enough defenition so you can pick out most of the notes when I'm doing Disgorge style alt picking.

• Members

The Voodu Valve and Prophesy are definitely the heaviest of the Rocktron Pre's. The other Rocktrons can get heavy but they just don't go to eleven, like the other two..

Get yourself a couple of deep VHT Cabs and then get a meaty Poweramp, at least 90 to 100 watts per side and I assure you that anybody over the age of 65, within a 20 mile radius will be stiffer than {censored} in 5 minutes flat and all infants will be juice, {censored} the Sledge Hammer;)

• Members

The Voodu Valve and Prophesy are definitely the heaviest of the Rocktron Pre's. The other Rocktrons can get heavy but they just don't go to eleven, like the other two..

Get yourself a couple of deep VHT Cabs and then get a meaty Poweramp, at least 90 to 100 watts per side and I assure you that anybody over the age of 65, within a 20 mile radius will be stiffer than {censored} in 5 minutes flat and all infants will be juice, {censored} the Sledge Hammer;)

My current power amp is 300 watts per side at 4 ohms. Headroom out the ass. I'll see what I can get the Voodu Valve for, or maybe a prophesy. Are there tubes in the Prophesy?

• Members

The Prophesy, Like The Voodu, does have one 12AX7 at the input. Also, both pre's are extremely articulate when you sound sculpt with the Eq's...

Man, if only I could play this stuff in person before hand. I know this band inveracity uses original Chameleons for their tone, and their tone is very mean sounding, but articulate. I think I would like it, so I may have to check out the Voodu Valve. What about the pro GAP or Pro GAP ultra? I noticed those sell cheap, and I hear those sound like Diezel/Randall.

• Members

I'm running a VHT 2150 Poweramp with the Custom Audio Electronics 3+ preamp and a Bogner Fish Preamp.Either preamp is selected by a Bradshaw RSB Switcher that I run a Rocktron Pro Q Parametric preamp in Stereo loops(final output from loop11).

The Pro-Q can target the agressive eq frequencies that I need for more aggressive Metal-and still retain enough inherant midrange for the tones to be complimentary and not sucked out of the mix.

$$$ being a factor in the price of either preamp that i run(they may not work with your tonal thoughts or tastes)....i say look into the egnater older IE4 or a Tri-axis for starters.

then there are several older(Made in USA0 Rocktron preamps like the chameleon or Voodoo valve that are great as well as the ADA MP-1.

• Members

I love the Rocktron Piranha. They sound great and you can get an amazing array of tones from them. They can go from heavy to clean. The best thing is that you get the feel and tone of tubes...because they have 2 of them :thu:

Dont take my word for it... KK Downing and Glen Tipton of Judas Priest both use them as their live Preamps...and we all know the killer tone they have.

• Members

For sheer brutality, I'd say:

Engl

Line 6

Rocktron

Tech 21

in that order. IMHO. Another unit to look at is the ADA MP-2. The MP-1 in a stock, umodded form is too organic/Marshally for brutality without outboard EQ... but the MP-2... that thing is so beastial most users shoot themselves squarely in the foot with the sheer God-Awful amount of gain at their disposal and claim it sounds bad. It has an on-board 10 (or is it 9?) band EQ too.

Archived