rack case question, not answered elsewhere

subenius

• Members

OK, I've read the other rack case threads and I still can't get an opinion...

I'm replacing my rack case, and hoping to find something not as deep as the standard skb I'm using now. The largest thing in my rack is the Mesa 2:90, but even with that in the skb I have tons of room in the back of the case... I always worry about having this case on top of my cab (1960 B 4x12) - it hangs off a little... and though it doesn't seem unstable, I still worry. I'm looking into the Road Runner Effects cases, which are shallower, with a depth of 14.5". This doesn't give my Mesa much clearance in the back, but it'll fit... Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks.

• Members

I wouldn't worry about how deep the rack is. The weight distribution will be virtually the same no matter the depth, so just make sure you keep it within an inch or two from the front edge of the cab and keep the weight toward the bottom of the rack. Besides, you may want that extra room at some point.

FWIW...I've seen 16" and 18" deep racks on ebay--both shock and non-shock. OSP makes decent racks for the money.

Scott

• Members

OK, I've read the other rack case threads and I still can't get an opinion...

I'm replacing my rack case, and hoping to find something not as deep as the standard skb I'm using now. The largest thing in my rack is the Mesa 2:90, but even with that in the skb I have tons of room in the back of the case... I always worry about having this case on top of my cab (1960 B 4x12) - it hangs off a little... and though it doesn't seem unstable, I still worry. I'm looking into the Road Runner Effects cases, which are shallower, with a depth of 14.5". This doesn't give my Mesa much clearance in the back, but it'll fit... Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks.

SKB Makes shallow cases too.

• Members

thanks scott. i tend to over think everything... so it's nice to get other opinions about it, other wise i'd be on musicians friend for six hours with my credit card in hand...

Stop sweatin', start jammin'!!!!

I've got an 8u shockmount (full) that's heavy, but once I place it correctly I know it's not going anywhere.

Scott

• Members

I stick my rack case on the floor on a wheelboard thing, its easier to move that way and vibrations from the cab wont hurt anything in the rack (i know its rare but still). Slant cabs + vibrations and weird weight distributions make for a possible horrific crash.

• Members

I leave my rack case on the floor where I know it absolutely can't fall down (short of a massive earthquake or the laws of gravity being repealed).

Or you could always try a bass cabinet (since they tend to be deeper) if you're worried about the extra couple of inches hanging off the edge...

• Members

I've experimented with putting my rack case on a X-style keyboard stand.

that isn't a bad idea... I would put it on the floor, but sometimes I need to do mid-show tweeking, especially in the case of a sound guy sucking ass... which by the way, happens way too much. I know my rig and I know how it sounds, especially in the context of my band, and the context of the bar if it's a place I've played before. Why then does the sound dude INSIST on micing my {censored} when I tell him it's loud enough and will sound better without being miced through the house mains....? AHHH! Never trust a sound guy who doesn't wear earplugs.

• Members

Are they really strong enough? my rack weighs alot. Then again I'm not sure how much keyboards weigh these days.

A typical X-style stand claims to be good to 200 pounds. Keyboards these days weigh less than they used to, but there's only so much weight you can shave off of an 88-key weighted action, y'know?

My rack is only about 50 pounds. I'd trust my stand up to 100.

Archived