Extra Power Amp???

• Members

Okay

I have a JMP-1 running through a Marshall 9005 Power Amp...

....and a Mesa Triaxis arriving any day now.:love:

I have the JMP-1 and 9005 for all the Marshall sounds, and have got the Triaxis for all the Mesa stuff (obviously).

1: Can I run both the JMP-1 and Triaxis through the 9005???

2: If so, would the 9005 "taint" the "Mesa" sound with "Marshall" sound, so would it be better to get a Mesa Power Amp too and run two separate-ish rigs???

Cheers guys. :thu:

• Members

Cheers Gorgon90,

so a Triaxis through a Marshall power amp would still sound like a Mesa?

Well it'll sound like a Triaxis through a 9005, it's up to you if that is a good sound. I'd guess that a Triaxis through a Mesa power amp of some type will sound more typically "Mesa" as it would be all Mesa gear. :idk:

A lot of people like to mix and match though, that is the beauty of rack gear. Mesa pre with VHT power amp, JMP-1 with Mesa power amp, etc.

Simple answer is plug the Triaxis into the 9005 when you get it and make your own mind up if it sounds close enough to what you want. Good luck with it which ever way you go.

• Members

I think it more depends on the cab than the power amp. Switching poweramps like the Mesa 50/50 based on 6L6 and the Engl based on EL34 did not give as much difference as switching the Mesa and Marshall 4x12 cabs. That was just my experience. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Members

I think it more depends on the cab than the power amp. Switching poweramps like the Mesa 50/50 based on 6L6 and the Engl based on EL34 did not give as much difference as switching the Mesa and Marshall 4x12 cabs. That was just my experience. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks guys.

...and that was gonna be my next question...which cab?

There seems to be tons of marshalls about and on Ebay, but no Mesa cabs! :confused:

• Members

Mesas into G12T-75s can be shrill and fuzzy. You'd want a cab with either vintage 30s (Normal modern Mesa sound) or G12-65s (Master of Puppets era Metallica in a box).

Your best bet is to probably buy a JCM 800 or 900 cab and respeaker it with one of the two above.

If you're going to use the Mesa Mark Series sounds in the Triaxis you could find a metal grill Mesa cab for about the same as the Marshall cab.

It sounds like Brad Gillis on Ozzy's Speak of the Devil.

(WARNING: Recto settings into these cabs usually sound REALLY BAD)

Archived