Noisy JMP1

• Members

I've recently swapped out the stock Marshall valves in my JMP1 for a pair of JJ's ECC83s. Since doing this the JMP1 seems to be a lot noisier than it was before. It's known as a noisy pre-amp with high gain settings on the OD2 channel, but I'm now getting my noise gate cutting in on some of my clean patches.

Before I go through the hassle of un-wiring my rack and re-fitting the original valves, I just wanted to check if there are any other JMP1 users out there who might have experienced anything similar, or know how the JMP1 compares to other valve rack pre-amps (Mesa Studio-Pre, Triaxis, Rockmaster, Piranha etc) regarding noise levels.

• Members

I bought my JMP-1 almost two years ago and it came with JJ's in it. I have not had "that much" noise out of mine. You could have received a bad tube.

As for the other preamps, I don't have any personal experience with any of them. I do hear that the Triaxis is pretty quiet. Others will have much more insight into this than me.

I would buy at least one more JJ and try it in each socket until I found the culprit.

It may not be much input, but I hope it helps.

:freak:

Archived