Question about making my setup work with a foot controller

• Members

So my setup is a JMP-1 with a Mesa Strategy 500 power amp. I don't have a foot controller yet, but I'm looking to get one to switch between preamp patches, effect pedals, and also to switch between channels on the power amp. The power amp has 2 sides, and each side has 2 channels. There are a couple 1/4 jacks for a footswitch on the back on the power amp:

10gfzvt.jpg

Now, I don't really know how it's all supposed to work, how the connecting of everything goes. Will a single midi foot controller take care of all tasks, of switching between preamp presets, effect pedal combinations, and switching channels on the power amp, or do I need separate controllers for the separate jobs?

Also, any recommendations for a midi foot controller?

• Members

Most MIDI foot controllers just send MIDI messages. That's all. If you want to have your effects pedals switched and amp channels switched then you need to look into something like the Axess Electronics GRX4 (if they still make them) or similar. What that does is receive the MIDI messages and switch a bunch of loops in or out of the signal chain. One of the loops can also be configured to switch amp channels. I have one and I use it to switch my effects in/out and the A/B voice on my Marshall 9200 rack power amp. It is totally awesome.

Couple of things to look out for with a MIDI controller:

Make sure it has nice footswitches. I have a Yamaha MC10 and the buttons on it are horrid to press. I wish I'd gone for one with proper metal clicky buttons.

Also, make sure it can send out all of the possible MIDI messages you're ever going to need. All of them will send Program Change messages, but you may well need CC messages, or Note on/off messages in the future.

Also, it's great if you can get one that can send a few different messages at the same time. IE - send Prog Change 5 on MIDI channel 1 and Prog Change 16 on MIDI channel 2 - so you can organise various MIDI receivers more logically.

Archived