cleaning fog machines

J Kylez

• Members

I am surprised that there are no cleaning instructions with the unit. You could try their web site to see if there is any information concerning maintenance. I have not used a fog machine in 15 years so I am not that well versed as to how to clean it.

Good luck!

• Members

I have tried the known manufacurer's. None of them issue cleaning instructions. I think they like when you clog the element. That way you have to buy a new one.

I have found some info on the net but I don't have any good references. I don't know what running too much plain water or distilled white vinegar through the machine can do to the element. Just looking for some success stories before I try this procedure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had one machine clog the heating element and another pump get clogged. If the heating element gets clogged it is pretty much done for I understand. I was able to dissect the pump and clear it. But I would rather take preventative measures to keep it flushed. Still looking for good ideas or recommendations here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

There is NO way to unclog a smoke machine. There are some things to consider though...

What quality of smoke fluid are you using? If you use cheap stuff, then you may find that the copper tubes become blocked prematurely.

It's worth airlining the copper tubing as this can lengthen the time that the tube will remain unblocked. I used to fix smoke machines among other things and I tried many things to keep them going (including pumping hydrachloric (sp) acid through them but it just burnt holes in the floor..)

Another thing to remember is that the block temperature is important. Most blocks work around 288 degrees but much over 300 can effect the life of the tube. Once the tube is blocking, it will put more strain on the pump which will eventually fail.

In short, if your smoke machine has a reduced output from what you are used to then replace the copper tubing. It's not hard to do but leave the machine for a number of hours before opening it as they remain hot internally for ages due to the fibreglass insulation. Fibregalss itches so get some rubber gloves and don't touch your eyes...!

Steve...R

• Members

Originally posted by stephenrussell:

There is NO way to unclog a smoke machine. There are some things to consider though...

What quality of smoke fluid are you using? If you use cheap stuff, then you may find that the copper tubes become blocked prematurely.

It's worth airlining the copper tubing as this can lengthen the time that the tube will remain unblocked. I used to fix smoke machines among other things and I tried many things to keep them going (including pumping hydrachloric (sp) acid through them but it just burnt holes in the floor..)

Another thing to remember is that the block temperature is important. Most blocks work around 288 degrees but much over 300 can effect the life of the tube. Once the tube is blocking, it will put more strain on the pump which will eventually fail.

In short, if your smoke machine has a reduced output from what you are used to then replace the copper tubing. It's not hard to do but leave the machine for a number of hours before opening it as they remain hot internally for ages due to the fibreglass insulation. Fibregalss itches so get some rubber gloves and don't touch your eyes...!

Steve...R

What I am looking for a way to keep it from getting clogged in the first place. I want to know if there is a good maintenence routine for the fogger. I have heard a mixture of ditilled water with vinegar can help keep it flushed. But I also know how things can cement into the heating element making it useless.

Thanks for the tips though. I learned some good info.

• Members

Vinegar is okay as is distilled water, although there isn't a real way of keeping them unclogged. Everything has been tried and it comes down to the quality of the smoke fluid you are using. If you think they are clogging up prematurely then it's almost certainly the fluid.

As far as the temperature and noxious gas is concerned , I have heard that but I don't know if it's true. Smoke machines regulate the temperature of the block which is factory set (although often adjustable internally) and they have a standard thermal cutoff if that fails. Jem ZR smoke machines always had a alloy heater block. If the thermal trip failed as well as the platinum sensor, the alloy would 'actually' liquify. I have seen that happen on a test bench when a friend of mine had turned one on and then gone to make some tea. I don't remember feeling ill from noxious gases though... ;0).

There is a company called Cirolite who are well known for 'cracked oil' hazers. One of the owners apparently drunk a cup of the fluid at a show as it's supposedly quite harmless...

Cya

Steve...R

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

We have always maintained ours with white vinegar & distilled water, running it through about once every half dozen or so uses. I'm not sure what the model is because it's old, but we haven't had any trouble out of it in 15 years. We didn't buy it new either, so it's hard to tell how old it is. (But in all fairness, we don't use the thing nearly as much as we used to.)

------------------

Banta

banta@citynet.net

Archived