Any software to play graphics during LIVE set?

• Members

Hey!

Odd question.. and not reallly the correct forum. BUT, you guys always have the answers.

My bands using a video projector this weekend on a huge screen.. I have SOME video prepared.. but not for 3 hours worth of music. In windows media player, I'm sure your all familiar with the "visualizer" ... the cool graphics that go along with the music.

Is there anything available like that for live use?? Where using either my computer input or a computer mic, it would play the graphics along with what we're playing LIVE?

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

-Jason

• Members

http://www.soundspectrum.com/g-force/

For only $30, its really intuitive to use. How exactly to use it depends on your setup. How are you running sound? If everything is going into the board, especially drums, just take a tape out, get a RCA stereo -> 1/8" mono adapter and plug it into your PC's mic in jack. Its a somewhat crappy solution b/c of the poor sound quality of the 1/8" adaptor, but for $30 and change it really gets the job done pretty well. Once the mixer is hooked up, set g-force to whatever pattern you want, full-screen mode, and set the computer's video output to the input of the projector using a standard monitor cable.

For best results (what I have used), get a decent interface to the computer. I use the presonus inspire and take the tape out of the board and go into the computer that way, but there are soundcards (M-Audio, for example) that accept native RCA for less than $100, and are also very useful if you ever want to record a performance.

If you dont put everything (i.e. drums, because thats really what its keying on) into the mixing board, put an overhead on the drums and just dont task it to the main output bus. A single sennheiser e835 has done this job for me in the past put on a boom stand and put above the kit. Then that channel doesnt get tasked to the main bus, but still goes out the tape out and gets into the computer to drive the visuals; or you can use a submix bus, or an aux if you have one free, or a direct out, etc... whatever your mixer features allow you to do and what is easiest.

G-Force is a great buy for $30. Widows media player is bad because it is so slow, where G-Force is designed for this use and has a ton more options for videos. It really can look cool. Also, make sure your laptop meets their minimum specs so there is no lag and it runs real-time live. I would suggest shutting down every other program while the show is going on and remember to disable hibernation / power save on your laptop or anything that might pop-up a pop-up window!

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions you might have about using the software. Also, you want the platinum version so you can use it directy with the line-in. Otherwise, G-Force will only key on the computer's output. While there is probably a way to rig this up somehow, I would just pay the $30 and keep it simple and clean.

Best,

John

Archived