I bought a Yamaha ES8, WHAT NEXT?

JUDAH

• Members

I love my Yamaha Motif ES8, but I'm thinking about getting a rack to go with it. I am a worship leader in a church and play 3 times a week. I play a wide range of music and I use more than just piano. Example, I used to have a Roland xp-30 and korg dw-8000, with a kurzweil micropiano. I used to layer the mircropiano with the xp-30, ep+mod patch and the factory patch #32 from the dw-8000(fat ep wave) . I would end up with a very fat fat fat

piano with ep wave, and mod sound. I love the sounds on my es8 but have not been trully happy with some of the layering I have attempted on it. I though maybe getting a triton rack or tr rack. As we all know every keyboard/rack has it's own niche.

so what do you think?

• Members

What style of music do you play? If you're doing more traditional church music and use a lot of strings/brass, another ROMpler module (I think the Roland Fantom XR looks mighty appealing) would probably be what you're looking for. However if you are playing more "contemporary" music, maybe a VA module might be fun to add to the mix.

• Members

dont take this the wrong way, but it might be a good idea to take some time to really learn your existing gear before jumping to buy new stuff. there are many cases where the results you seek can be obtained using a better understanding of the equipment rather then geeting more of it.

• Members

Originally posted by cyanhue

dont take this the wrong way, but it might be a good idea to take some time to really learn your existing gear before jumping to buy new stuff. there are many cases where the results you seek can be obtained using a better understanding of the equipment rather then geeting more of it.

Exactly.

The ES8 does more than all your previous gear combined.

• Members

Third that motion.

Try this:

Start with the '80's Layer' patch, change the 2nd wave to DX4 and change the velocity trigger so it'll always trigger, and change wave 3 to DX2 or DX3. You may wanna change the basic piano wave, too, depending on taste.

I've been tweaking this modified patch on my Mo6 for awhile, and I've found it's got a good, thick sound.

Archived