Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Aaaaaah" sound in New Order's "Blue Monday": is that a Fairlight CMI?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suitandtieguy
    reclocking a D/A _always_ sounds better than digital interpolation. i don't think there's any argument about that.

OK, I'll offer 2 arguments then!

1. Reclocking a D/A can lead to alias and clock noise in your signal if your process filtering is not up to par, and that was clearly the case on more than a few 70s/80s samplers. That said, some may find that sound pleasing (I do), and so it could be better, yes.

2. Digital interpolation can be perfect given the context of the sampling rate. That said, it may take massive amounts of CPU power, or have to be done in non-real-time.

But anyway, I wonder why all makers went toward interpolation as time went on if reclocking always sounds better?

analogue filters are much better than digital filters.

Again, depends on context. For some things, analog all the way. For others, analog would be totally inappropriate, not to mention physically impossible.

however, i use an Akai S5000 instead of an EIII because i like the interface better. it's easier for sampling. i use all of my own samples, with the exception of the Mike Pinder Mellotron CD-ROM. another reason i use it is because of the enormous storage possibilities.

Fair calls on both points, but it cannot be denied, an EIII can sound stellar! In the studio anyway...I would never take one of those out live, whereas an Akai S5K can deliver in that context.

And big ups to you for using your own samples. Damn, man, you must not want to sound like a clone!

anyway, i just wanted to say i really wish that you could buy a 24 bit 64 second audio delay that worked like the old delays where the A/D/D/A circuit was reclocked from a VCO controlled from the front panel or a rear jack ... and a restart control with a trigger input like my RDS units had.

Agreed! That said, the Line6 Echo Pro is like that in some ways (don't laugh, I'm not kidding!).

And either you did not see my previous question in another thread, or I did not catch your answer, but what is the music scene in Peoria like these days?

I was there 1981-1985, and it wasn't too friendly if you were into the idea of pop music done with a synth and drumbox!

cheers,
    aeon
    @>~,~~'~

Comment

Originally posted by clusterchord
      have you ever heard pure samples before they were loaded into Fairlight, to be able to make the statement you did?

Good call. I'm kind of wondering what that woman's vocal tract looked like who did the Sararr sound .
      "Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
      Synthesizer Programming Megathread - add your tips & tricks or ask how to recreate sounds!

Comment

Was that a Fairlight used for the vocal-y background sound in Wham's 1984 hit 'Careless Whisper'?
        Roland: Fantom-G8 VSynth-GT MC-909 MC-808 PCR300 Yamaha: XS-6 MM-6 KX-25 T-116 Korg: M3-61 Micro-X Moog: LP DSI: Prophet-08

Cakewalk: Sonar 8 PE Rapture Dimension Pro Project5 N.I.: Absynth Akoustik FM8 Massive P.H.: Reason 4 Digidesign: Protools LE 8 Spectrasonics: Omnisphere

Comment

Originally posted by midi
          Was that a Fairlight used for the vocal-y background sound in Wham's 1984 hit 'Careless Whisper'?

Yep. I understand JJ Jeczalik sampled George Michael and then later used it on stuff he did with Trevor Horn (it can be heard on a few tracks of Welcome to the Pleasuredome)
          Last edited by Gus Lozada : Today at 09:57 AM.

Comment

I distinctly remember reading a magazine article on New Order back in the '80s and Bernard Sumner said their main analog synth was a Voyetra.
            Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

I didn't read every comment thoroughly but back to the original question.. but i did some research on this and while yes my understanding is that they sampled Kraftwerk, the original source for this sound was from one of these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCybRH8gIBI

Vako Orchestration.. amazing device.. and brilliant.. using records as the actual medium to play samples from?! brilliant.. but i'm sure they were not much better if better than the mechanically challenged mellotrons.. anyway I just wanted to put that out there..
              Last edited by part12studios; 01-28-2018, 05:20 AM.

Comment

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...ue-monday-live

A worthy read and everything you need to know!

Comment

Originally posted by b3keys View Post
                  https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...ue-monday-live

A worthy read and everything you need to know!

From the (excellent) linked article in SOS:

"The vocal choir part on 'Blue Monday' was sampled, and it was probably one of the first instances of someone sampling something from someone else's record. New Order originally used an Emulator II to play their samples live, but a lot of the time the Emulators wouldn't load up so the roadie would have to hit one of the legs with a hammer to start it working again — it was that kind of technology! So Steve had that part loaded up into his Kurzweil K2500."

(Emphasis added)

I wonder what record they sampled the part from originally?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                  - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                  - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                  - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

https://www.whosampled.com/album/Kra...adio-Activity/

Kraftwerk Uranium from Radio-Activity (1975)

Comment

Originally posted by b3keys View Post
                      https://www.whosampled.com/album/Kra...adio-Activity/

Kraftwerk Uranium from Radio-Activity (1975)
                      Thanks!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Now they use a Fantom X.
                        Originally it was an Emulator II. Similar sound was the Wave 2.2 choir or Prophet VS voices
                        Last edited by Music Bird; 03-16-2018, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X