Yamaha P90 MIDI velocity problem

mcpepe

• Members

Hello.

I have a Yamaha P90 stage piano and I want to use it as a MIDI controller with Reason 3.

My problem is that maximum velocity when I press a key in the P90 is 100 (and not 127). Because of this problem i am not able to play the sounds of Reason3 at its full potential. These sound are programmed to respond to the velocity, with multisamples. If I dont reach the 127 I cannot hear the louder samples.

Is there any solution to this? (apart from changing to another keyboard controller).

Thanks.

• Members

I have not payed attention to the Touch setting. Is this important? I thought it has no relation to the MAXimum midi velocity.

I had a look to the Midi Solutions box and it is what I need. In fact, in the examples talks about the same problem for the Yamaha DX7. The problem is my european shop doesnt have this unit. They sell another midisolutions hardware, but not this...:-(

The direct order from the Midisolutions web is 149$...Like you say, it is not cheap.

Dont you know of a Software alternative to the Midi Solutions Hardware?

Thanks for the help.

• Members

mcpepe, set it to SOFT (and even then you have to punch really hard to get to 127).

orangefunk, organ and harpsichord voices on the P-90 are not touch sensitive at all. MIDI messages emitted still reflect the actual velocity of your notes, no matter what voice is selected - it just wouldn't make any sense otherwise (and I've just did a quick check to make sure)

• Members

mcpepe, set it to SOFT (and even then you have to punch really hard to get to 127).

orangefunk, organ and harpsichord voices on the P-90 are not touch sensitive at all. MIDI messages emitted still reflect the actual velocity of your notes, no matter what voice is selected - it just wouldn't make any sense otherwise (and I've just did a quick check to make sure)

I owned a P80 and P120 a while back. Changing the patches actually seemed to change the MIDI output dynamics... it has been discussed here on this forum in the past.

• Members

Yeah, I suppose it was a long time ago (inception of P120 era) and the forum has been thru a few transitions since. There was a period on HC where only the most recent posts were kept... I don't know if this is true now.

It was another poster that found out this "feature", but IIRC all I had to do was change to different patches on my P80 and the velocity curve seemed to alter... I still couldn't get the top velocities out of the thing, just that the curve altered. It was very noticeable I have to say, so perhaps its not implemented on the P90.

As I don't have a Yamaha piano anymore, I don't know the exact details.

Archived