MIDI channels & sequencers

enuenu

• Members

Don't know about Reaper and your PSR, but I have an idea for you.

Download midi-ox. http://www.midiox.com/

Install and open the program. With your psr hooked up to your computer, play some notes and see what kind of info midi-ox is showing. It's a very useful program for a lot of midi related things.

Maybe someone else knows more about your specific stuff.

• Members

Don't know about Reaper and your PSR, but I have an idea for you.

Download midi-ox.

Install and open the program. With your psr hooked up to your computer, play some notes and see what kind of info midi-ox is showing. It's a very useful program for a lot of midi related things.

Maybe someone else knows more about your specific stuff.

Thanks. I could probably distil my questions down to a fundamental one at the moment. Can you have multiple instruments (all created by a single synth) each transmitted from the synth on a different MIDI channel all recorded inside a single track in your DAW sequencer software (regardless whether it is Cubase, Reaper or PT etc)?

• Members

Thanks. I could probably distil my questions down to a fundamental one at the moment. Can you have multiple instruments (all created by a single synth) each transmitted from the synth on a different MIDI channel all recorded inside a single track in your DAW sequencer software (regardless whether it is Cubase, Reaper or PT etc)?

Pretty sure Cubase can do that, but I never use that feature. Don't know about Reaper. Cubase has a function they call 'explode' that will separate different midi channels recorded on the same track, onto separate tracks.

I may have done it once or twice many years ago.

For the time being, you might be better off using some softsynths for sounds instead of your psr. Sounds like it might be less headaches.

• Members

Thanks a lot. Yes, Reaper has the explode functionality too. This gets to what I am driving at. Why have MIDI channels at all? Why not just record each synth instrument/timbre/voice/layer/channel on a discrete track in the sequencer software? I guess the answer is that maybe each timbre/voice/layer :confused: needs its own channel if they are to "play" simultaneously. Furthermore perhaps if all the timbres/voices/layers are "playing" simultaneously and you want to record this "orchestra", the data must be conveyed to the sequencer software over more than one channel.

I'm have been trying out some soft synths as well. I have had some succes with these. I'm just trying to get my head around this whole channel issue, specifically the interplay between channels and tracks.

EDIT - I am thinking that this old keyboard has technical compatibility issues (it's MIDI so I don't see why). Is is quite old. I am finding that sometimes the data just doesn't get through the inteface to the DAW, turning the synth power off then on fixes the problem.

EDIT EDIT - using MIDIOX I have found that all voices go through channel 1, so the info in the manual may be wrong. The drums go through channel 10 and the prerecorded songs don't activate any channel at all. I was hoping I could dump the MIDI songs it stores into Reaper.

Archived