Keyboard Amp Setup Recommendation Wanted

thebinge

• Members

I just bought a Prophet 08 PE synth which sounds great through headphones, but I don't really have a stereo setup to run it through. I've done extensive searching on this forum, and the general consensus is that it's better to go with a powered PA package rather than through a stereo keyboard amp. The Yamaha STAGEPAS series seems to be highly recommended. I'm looking at the 300 stereo setup which I know may lack in the bottom end, but I'm also a bass player and have a Markbass 500 watt head with various cabinets (15s, 6X10) that I can use for the low end assuming the Yamaha has a line-out jack. I'm using the Prophet for home-use only. I also like the fact the Yamaha has built-in reverb which the Prophet lacks.

I also have an Alesis synth/Kurzweil module that I use live for piano sounds; I run this through our band's main PA. I'm thinking of using one half of the Yamaha for a stage monitor. I just need to be able to hear my piano better, would the 300 series be sufficient for this application? Our band doesn't have alot of stage volume (no electric guitars, mostly acoustic instruments).

My budget is around $500, not ruling out any used gear.

• Members

I would suggest a pair of the Behringer B212D. It's a bit more than your budget, but not by much. Zzounds.com sells them for $279 with free shipping. I have the B212A, and they blow away the Stagepas 300 for sound level and bass performance. They have proven very durable too, which is always a concern for Behringer gear. Pay extra for an extended warrantee if you have still have doubt as to their reliablity. The B212D have an upgraded class D amp with a bit more power, but at the same weight as the B212A. You can find the B212A widely available used too.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I need that much power (400 watts). Plus, these Behringers don't have built-in mixers like the Yamahas, do they? Also, I have a bass amp for extra low end if needed. Any other comments/suggestions?

Archived